09 Tranquility

I belong to quick, futile moments of intense feelings. Yes, I belong to moments. Not to people.

Virginia Woolf

The mirth in her dark orbs paints them lighter than they actually are, or maybe it's just the light from the lamp

The mirth in her dark orbs paints them lighter than they actually are, or maybe it's just the light from the lamp. Burq doesn't know, neither does he care as he bugs her with his words. But she seems to take his statement easy and let it slide by, chuckling slowly.

"Ah, you credit yourself too much, but not my observations," she says, trying to pull away from him but he doesn't let go of her wrist. She ceases to struggle and stays leaning over him, raising an eyebrow in query.

"And here I thought you were fond of me when you barely knew me enough," he comments, referring to a previous conversation between them.

"I was fond of you when you didn't bring titles between us."

"What changed?"

"You did, for reasons I do not know of."

"Why can't you talk to me about it?"

Leyla shakes her head and tugs her wrist free, straightening back. "It's bitter. I don't want you to go through a pain your loss of memory is saving you from."

Burq frowns. "Ain't that unfair on my part?"

A knock comes at the door and Waleed enters with a tray in his hand. Burq's scowl deepens, partly on seeing the soup and partly on Waleed's untimely interruption.

Leyla gets up to take the tray from him and politely dismisses him. She puts the tray between them and helps him sit up, placing a pillow behind his back.

"I'll eat on one condition," Burq declares.

"I won't listen to your every whim," Leyla playfully scolds.

"Don't you fancy me enough for that?"

She lets out a small laugh at his jest. "Tell me your condition."

Burq grins, satisfied. "You'll tell me about yourself too."

"You don't want to know about me, but about us," Leyla states surely, giving him a knowing look.

Burq chuckles. "Guilty. But I do actually want to know your full name."

She takes a while before replying, as if debating whether to tell him or not— as if weighing what she is about to give away. "Leyla Khanzada."

Burq hums thoughtfully. "Ms. Khanzada," he smiles, pleased at knowing something about her, "can you promise me one more thing?"

"What is it?"

He leans forward towards her. "If you do not wish to tell me something, then don't. But don't lie to me."

Leyla tilts her head. "I suppose this is about the hospital visit that day?"