Epilogue

The minute I heard my first love story,
I started looking for you, not knowing
how blind that was.
Lovers don’t finally meet somewhere.
They’re in each other all along.

Jalaluddin Rumi

God is magnificent, possessor of all might and glory

God is magnificent, possessor of all might and glory. He's the artist and the sky is His canvas; He's the king and the universe His kingdom. For who else can hold such powers to turn the sands of time and heal hearts? It is Him to answer prayers and bestow blessings and peace upon His beings-- the eternal and absolute Lord. It is Him to have kept him steadfast for so long-- to have still kept his pieces together into form.

The clouds rumble and the thunder roars as the sky turns into monochromatic shades of gray. The rain soon follows in fat droplets, tearing apart the deafening silence his ears were trying to get accustomed to but failing. He looks out through the wall window to the changing colors of the weather, grateful for the uproarious sounds in the dead still environment of the library. A smile kisses his lips.

"Ah, dear Lord, how You listen to the hearts," he mumbles to himself and then looks down to the history book he's holding in his hand, staring at the page he has been reading whilst standing in front of the bookshelf. "Sultan Mehmed Fateh." He hums, then repeats the name, pondering over it, before closing the book and putting it back into its place.

He pockets his hands and looks around, people quietly reading books or working on their laptops, busy in their own little worlds, oblivious to the havoc in one another, as if each one of them is living in an isolated box, utterly silent. He turns on his heels and starts walking out of the library.

"This place still reminds me of a graveyard, habibi." He looks up at the sky once he's out in the rain, the raindrops hitting his face forcefully. He takes off his spectacles and closes his eyes. "And this silence is not peaceful as you'd tell me how it was, but haunting to me. Because you're not here, Leyla." He opens his eyes back and sighs. "More than three years and you're still not with me."

He lets the rain soak him as his mind starts wandering, going back to the day when he had first met her. The day was the same as this one, of a beautiful summer when it was raining, when they met in a library, and how afterwards things changed between them to the point where they got married. He cannot believe how much she changed him. He cannot believe of his decision of marrying her in those harsh circumstances of his life, but he doesn't regret it one bit. She's still his wife, and always will be for he cannot think of losing her, yet he's all alone. Has she left him for real? Has she forgotten him? Where is she? Why can't he go looking for her? Maybe this fear of being rejected is keeping him from finding her, for living with this slight hope of having her again as part of his life is still better than being without her.

Dismissing his thoughts, he gets to his car and drives out of his university to his home. When he parks into his garage, he straight away makes his way towards the stable.