22 Magnificence

After fury, what do you do with the remains?

Maya Phillips

The sky is the canvas of God

The sky is the canvas of God. How the day meets night and night meets day, one sinking into another, fading into fainter and coloring into darker shades, until art is created. How can one not love such art? Ain't the soul a crafted thing itself? Every human is different. Every art is beautiful as the artist of them all is magnificent. But His magnificence extend beyond colors and art.

She watches the sky change hues as the clouds sway around lazily, playing with the sun. She sits in the swinging chair at her house beside the window, lulling her melancholy. But heartache has no cure besides love and time themselves, both of which she cannot afford.

"Lily?"

She looks at Mustafa who's sitting on the floor in the middle of the living room with Gulalai; she's helping him paint. Leyla smiles at him.

"Yes, jaan?"

"Which flower is beautiful?"

She eyes all the different colors of flowers he has painted. "All of them, darling."

"But which one do you want? I'll write your name with it."

Leyla chuckles and looks at them again. "How about the yellow one?" she says, thinking of his golden eyes.

Mustafa beams as Gulalai knowingly glances at her. "Is yellow your favorite color, lily?" he asks.

"Ah, it's golden. But yellow is close to it."

"Let's add some golden glitter for your aunt, shall we?" Gulalai ruffles Mustafa's hair who nod excitedly and gets to work.

Gulalai turns to Leyla who smiles, feeling her face warm up a bit. "Great work." She gestures towards the painting.

Gulalai smiles back, amused, and shakes her head. "Just call him, Leyla."

She sheepishly tucks back a strand of her hair. "I did."

"Just once."

"Waleed told me he didn't want to talk to me." Leyla shrugs. "That man is allergic to phone calls anyways."

"Then go to him."

She sighs and focus her attention on Mustafa's tiny, paint stained fingers. "I'm scared, Gul, of losing him again like before. Even if he finds out the whole truth, I'm afraid what if he still might not trust me?"

"It's worth a shot."

"I gave it a shot after we got married. He said I could trust him as a friend and I did, told him everything about myself. Yet he called me a loose woman the first chance he got." She blinks and looks out of the window, hiding away her tears from Gulalai. "I don't have a heart to hear him call me any such words again. From the world I can take anything and bear it, but I cannot bear him hurting me like this. Or maybe I've fallen deeper than before for him. Maybe this time even my shame won't be enough for me to leave him again."