F O R T Y - T W O

B R E N

B R E N

Without a doubt in my stupid, messed-up mind, I knew that the girl who sat across the living room, tucked into the couch while we watched TV, was my favorite person in the whole goddamn world.

But Christ, I was fucking annoyed with her right now.

And I was doing a terrible job at hiding it.

I said we could watch Grey's Anatomy, hoping that maybe they'd kill off another one of their dumbass, accident-prone main characters so it would draw Madie's attention away from me for at least a few minutes. But she kept darting worried glances my way.

Clearly, I'd picked the wrong episode. It just kept showing different doctors fucking in supply closets.

All I wanted was to sit in my irritation for a moment without being interrupted by those big blue eyes, begging me not to be mad.

But it wasn't like I could go to a different room. I knew how much it would bother her to see me walk away. So I sat here, angrily ruminating about how Madie's parents were coming in a few days and about how they were going to try to take her away with them. They were going to try to take her away from me.

"Bren, baby," she said, her voice soft and sweet as it reached over to me.

Fuck, she just had to add the baby onto my name, and it cut straight through my defenses. The only other time she'd called me that was when I'd been thrusting into her like a madman, and she'd murmured it in my ear, encouraging me with her breathy moans. Sex with Madie had been beyond incredible, but I couldn't let myself think about that right now.

I sighed. "What?"

"I'm sorry I told them, okay?"

I nodded. I knew she was. I knew the conversation with her mom hadn't gone like she'd planned it to go.

But I was still annoyed.

"I just don't get why you thought the solution was to tell her the truth." I tried to keep my voice even, but my crossed arms tightened over my chest as I talked.

"I don't know," Madie muttered. "She just kept pressing it. She wouldn't take no for an answer when I said she didn't need to come to Oakland. And it's hard to keep stuff from your mom, ya know?"

"Sorry, haven't been able to relate for a few years," I snapped, making Madie's eyes grow wide.

Ah, fuck.

I must be even more irritated than I realized if I was going to get sensitive about mom shit.

"Bren, I'm so sorry—"

I shook my head. "No, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have—" I sighed again. "It's fine, Madie."

But it wasn't. Not really. However, it had nothing to do with my mom.