F O R T Y - S I X

B R E N

B R E N

Madie shifted on her feet, moving side to side as she watched her parents get into their car. I saw her mouth open and then close again. She frowned.

Something was on the tip of her tongue.

I tucked a piece of strawberry hair behind her ear and leaned down to whisper in it. "Don't hide your fire."

Her mouth pressed into a thin line before she took a step into the driveway.

"Mom," she called. "Dad."

They had already said their goodbyes, given their hugs, murmured meaningless well-wishes. So when Madie's parents looked up, it was with curious confusion.

"I just—" Madie's voice faltered. But she was out of my reach now, and she had to do this herself. I didn't really know what she was going to say, but I could make a guess. She cleared her throat. "Why did you come all this way?"

The corners of her dad's mouth tilted downward. "We wanted to see how you were doing and make sure that you were okay out here. We wanted to see you for the holiday and didn't want to risk having you home, near..."

Quinton.

He couldn't even say it.

What a goddamn coward.

"So you admit it. You admit that he's not safe? That I'm not safe at home?" Madie asked, her voice wavering...but rising.

Her dad's eyes shifted. "Well, he's in counseling, but..."

"Honey," her mom broke in, leaning out of the open car window.

"No," Madie interrupted, shaking her head. I couldn't see her expression, but I could hear it. "You don't get to brush this aside like you do with everything else, mom. Not everything can be solved by sweeping it under the rug. That's how you taught me to fix my problems."

Her voice dropped. "Maybe if I had learned differently, I wouldn't have shouldered his abuse for so long. Maybe I wouldn't have just acted like everything was okay. Some problems don't go away. And then you end up in the hospital."

Madie's dad's expression twisted, and her mom bit down on her lip, worrying it. I took a step closer to Madie, wanting—needing—to rest my hand on the small of her back.

"It doesn't work like that," Madie added. "And I hope maybe one day you'll figure that out, too." Madie leaned into my touch. I felt her take a deep breath before ending the conversation—which was probably smart because I wasn't sure that her parents were ready to admit to what she was telling them. "I love you guys," she said in a resigned voice. "And I hope you have a safe trip back."

Both of Madie's parents were quick to tell her that they loved her too, sending longing, mixed expressions our way. Her dad looked like he wanted to say something but couldn't decide what, and he sighed heavily as he turned to put the key into the ignition. Her mom's eyes flickered with something I couldn't place, but then she put her mask back in place. "It was nice to meet you, Bren. Take care of her for us," she said.