Chapter 3: Wedded Bliss

Hermione twisted and turned in front of the full length mirror in Ginny's room. Why did she ever let Ginny talk her into buying this dress! It was lovely but Hermione wasn't used to showing so much skin. The back of the dress dipped low while the bottom flared out above her knees, perfect for spinning around on the dance floor. It was held up by tiny straps and the bodice was quite fitted, molding to her tiny waist while giving her a boost in the bosom department. Ginny had picked open-toe high-heel sandals in the same lilac color. Hermione wasn't used to looking so feminine and, as she gave herself a final glance over, she thought she could get used to it!

The morning had been filled with fun, feminine activity. All of the women in the house, including Hermione, had gone into Ottery St. Catchpole to have their hair and make-up done. Mrs. Weasley had been able to locate a witch who owned her own shop right in the village. Hermione's hair had been straightened and put into a loose bun, sitting at the nape of her neck while curly tendrils framed her face. One of the witches in the shop had used some charms to make-up Hermione's face. A smoky gray eye shadow had been applied to her lids along with a few swipes of mascara along her lashes, finishing the look. A quick swipe of pink gloss made her lips look plump and inviting. Hermione could have done without the eye shadow but she did purchase the mascara and lip gloss before they left the shop to head back to the Burrow.

Everyone looked beautiful, especially Fleur. Her elegant white gown clung to her figure perfectly. The goblin made tiara from Ron's Aunt Muriel made her look like a princess. Ginny and Gabrielle looked spectacular in their matching bridesmaid dresses, gold in color which only served to compliment Ginny's skin tone and hair. Mrs. Delacour and Mrs. Weasley also looked resplendent in their new robes, blue for Mrs. Delacour and magenta for Mrs. Weasley. Hermione had thoroughly enjoyed the morning. She felt as if she were truly a member of the family.

Hermione glanced over at Ginny. She really felt as if Ginny were her sister. A sister who needed comforting at the moment. It couldn't be easy for Ginny, knowing that three of them would be embarking on a dangerous mission and she would be left behind, not knowing what was happening. Hermione knew she was also upset about the pause in her relationship with Harry. Harry. So noble, so honorable, so—foolish! Hermione didn't like to think that but she couldn't help it. She knew Harry had only broken it off with Ginny as a way to protect her and the Weasley's but that didn't make it any easier for Ginny. She couldn't blame her for wanting to kiss Harry as much as she possibly could before they left. Hermione thought back to the previous night and Ron's reaction.

"What do you think they are doing?" he asked, pacing his room back and forth. Hermione was pretty certain they were snogging but didn't think Ron needed to hear the honest truth.

"Well," she said as she packed more of his clothes into her purse," it is Harry's birthday. Maybe Ginny wanted to give him her present in private."

This stopped Ron in his tracks. "In private! What could she possibly have to give him that she wouldn't be able to give him in front of everybody else?"

Hermione turned from the bed to face Ron. "Does it matter? Really Ron, you need to accept the fact that there is something between Harry and Ginny! Think about how she must be feeling. The three of us are going off together and she is being left behind. Now, while I am sure she is concerned about you and me, she must be out of her mind with worry about Harry. "

Ron was staring at her now, his face slightly flaming. "So, I should feel sorry for the bloke who wants to snog her?"