Chapter 8: One Without the Other

How did he end up here? No, scratch that. He knew how he ended up here, stupid git that he is. How could he have let it happen, that was the real question. He would like to blame it on that 'effin locket but he knew that the blame lay with him as well. He hadn't been strong enough. Harry and Hermione had been affected by the locket as well but they were able to stand up to it. He was too weak. And now, he was in a situation he wasn't sure he would be able to get out of.

Even miles away from where he left her, Ron could hear Hermione screaming his name, her voice echoing in his head. He felt like he was going to be violently ill. It was funny, that emotion called regret. The moment he had Disapparated he had regretted it, would have given anything in the world to be back in that tent with that bloody locket hanging around his neck. His face burned with shame as he recalled all of the horrible things that he had said to Harry. His best mate. Neither Harry nor Hermione deserved the treatment he had given them over the past weeks. Now he was left to replay the scenes over and over in his head like a sick movie stuck on repeat.

Focus Ron, he thought. When he had stormed out of the tent, he had no notion as to where he was going to go. And then, he thought about a family vacation the Weasley's had taken. They had gone to Dalby Forest, just west of Scarborough. It had been beautiful, exploring the moors and walking forest trails through the woodland. He almost chuckled at the memory of going into one of the Muggle pubs for a quick lunch. His father had been fascinated and Ron was sure that his family stuck out like a sore thumb.

When he landed in Dalby Forest, though, he walked right into a group of Snatchers. They had been camping and he scared the hell out of them with his sudden appearance. He should have capitalized on their momentary confusion but he had been outnumbered five to one. Before he could make a run for it the one of them caught him by the arms, preventing him from moving. He grabbed Ron's wand, throwing it over to a guy he called Hodges. The fifth guy was asleep or passed out in front of the fire. Nothing was moving him. The five of them were much older than he, closer to his parents' age, and they were arguing about what they should do with him.

"He looks like he's school age," said Hodges," he must be a Mudblood or I reckon he would be over at Hogwarts. Although, it's close to the holiday break, innit? Maybe he's a runaway?"

They had been sitting over the camp fire, roasting a rabbit they had caught when Ron had surprised them. The smell of the meat was making Ron's stomach grumble and his mouth water. The last thing he had eaten had been lunch and it was now almost midnight.

Another bloke, Smitty they had called him, was studying Ron from over the campfire. "No, there is something familiar about this one. Oi," he called over to Ron, "what's your name?"

A stab of fear penetrated Ron. He was hoping that these ignorant gits hadn't seen his picture in the newspaper but he didn't think he could be that lucky. He spit out the first name that came to him.

"Stan Shunpike. I am the conductor on the Knight Bus."

The third guy, Woodson, rubbed the growth of stubble on his chin," You know, I think that is Stan. I recognize that ginger hair anywhere."

Smitty, was shaking his head though. "No, I don't think so. It's been a while since I've seen Stan but this bloke ain't him. Stan's pretty skinny not like this one here. He still does look familiar, though I can't place it."

Woodson rolled his eyes, sighing audibly. "Here we go. Every 'effin kid we run into you think is Harry Potter. I can tell you one thing," he said, this time standing to poke a stubby finger in Smitty's face, "I'm getting' right sick and tired of it. Potter wears glasses and this bloke don't have any!"

Ron couldn't miss the menacing tone in Smitty's voice. The tension was palpable around the campfire. This was obviously a sore subject. Woodson had jumped to his feet and was now nose to nose with Smitty. Hodges, looking tired but wary, got up, pushing some space in between the two men.