Chapter 10: A Sweet Interlude

Hermione watched Ron fiddling with the wireless as she polished the sword. He was determined to find the station that was airing Potterwatch, intent on Hermione and Harry hearing the show. He was sitting at the small kitchen table, hunched over the outdated piece of technology, a lock of his hair falling across his brow. Hermione felt her fingers itch with the desire to sweep it away from his eyes. His tongue was also peeking out from the corner of his mouth, a habit that he had when he was serious into something. He probably didn't even realize he did it. Hermione had spent hours in the Gryffindor common room watching Ron struggle over a parchment, occasionally tapping his quill against his temple, his tongue hanging out of his mouth. She loved the way he looked when he was so concentrated.

Ron looked up for a moment and did a double-take as he realized she had been staring at him. She quickly looked down at the sword, feeling the familiar flush spread across her cheeks. Things had slowly begun to return to the way they were prior to his leaving. They were even better without having to deal with the locket. Yes, they were still struggling to find meals but Ron didn't seem as cranky as he had been before about this subject. In fact, he had made some excellent suggestions as to villages that they should visit, wizarding villages that might have been of interest to You-Know-Who. Hermione blushed again thinking about what had happened just the day before when they ventured in to one of those villages.

The Day Before

It was a miserable day which had started with a cold drizzle and had developed into a piercing rain. On Ron's suggestion, they had Disapparated to the village of Upper Flagley. Hermione had wanted to take Polyjuice Potion if they were going to be so close to other people but Harry insisted they save it. So, the three of them were walking around under the Invisibility Cloak, not sure of what they were looking for. It was a small village, very few homes in the center of it. They had seen signs that either Death Eaters or Snatchers had come through recently, many homes had doors thrown open and one did not have to look too hard to see the belongings of the owners cast about. As an older couple passed close by to them, they were able to hear their conversation. Apparently the Death Eaters had visited the village just the previous night, taking many with them including a young newly married couple, accused of being Blood traitors. As Ron, Harry, and Hermione neared the outskirts of the village, they came across the couple's recently vacated house. Ice had started to mix with the rain and although they were quite dry under the cloak, the ground they were walking on was becoming increasingly treacherous. They had been standing looking at the cozy home of the young couple when Harry made the suggestion.

"Why don't we just pop in there for a little bit, at least until the rain slows a little?"

Hermione was reluctant. She wanted nothing more to feel the comfort of a warm house and a good meal in her belly but she was afraid.

"What if they come back," she asked, "I mean the Death Eaters. What if they need something from the house, something they forgot to take when they kidnapped the couple?"

"We can set up the same enchantments around the house that we set up around the tent. That way we will have advanced warning if anyone is trying to enter."

Hermione was shaking her head, "I don't know Harry, there are too many variables. What if-"

She was interrupted by Ron who said, "I'm with Harry. We are not looking to stay for a few days, just a few hours at the most. I say we go in."

Hermione sighed, knowing that she was outnumbered. She wasn't too angry about it, though; the house did certainly look comfortable.

"Okay, but let's go in through the back, just in case."

The three of them headed around the back. Hermione took out her wand, pointing to the door whispering, "Alohomora."

The door opened into a small but clean kitchen. It was painted a pale yellow that made it look cheerful and bright despite the dismal day. Ron immediately, pulled the cloak off of them.