One

Chapter One ~ "The Bonding Trip"

•Quinn Schoenfield•

I stared at them with utmost attention. Trying to make sure it was absolutely perfect. You know, careful enough to not let the brush touch my skin at all. And it would've been perfect if only I had no disruptions.

"Boo!" yelled the class prankster, Joey MacIntosh, who sat right behind me.

I yelped in surprise, jumping in my seat. My brush flew out of my hand and landed right on the face of the person standing in front of me.

I learned only one thing from that; hot pink is a colour that does not, at all, suit the complexion of Mrs. Gomez.

"Ms. Schoenfield, do you have anything to say for yourself?" Mrs Gomez reprimanded, shooting daggers in my direction.

"Uh, that, maybe, that particular shade of hot pink doesn't really suit your complexion and I could, perhaps, just maybe help you find the right shade?" I said, laughing weakly.

"Excuse me? What did you just say? That shade of pin- Oh, never mind! Getting me off topic with your silly girly business." Mrs. Gomez gritted her teeth. "If today was not the last day of school, I would've suspended you this instant! Your delinquent behaviour is not accepted in my class!"

"Suspended?" I echoed. "Come on, that's a little harsh, don't you think? After all, I am your star student, aren't I?" I added, winking at her playfully.

"Hmm . . . let's see, you weren't paying attention in class, you spent half the class gossiping and passing notes with Mr. Parker, you distracted the rest of the students because you were painting your nails . . . in an Algebra class and . . . my nose is now hot pin-"

The bell rang, saving me from Mrs. Gomez' rant on my supposedly delinquent like behavior in her super boring Algebra class. It was the last period of the last of day of school before Summer break, so no one was really paying attention. However, she seemed to have a personal vendetta against me (maybe cause I never, ever, ever pay attention in her class, yet always get the highest grades out of everyone?) and I always got detention from her - like always.

"You can't stay one day in school without getting into trouble, can you?" Ian laughed mockingly, as he walked to my seat, where I quickly packed my things.

I gritted my teeth and gave him my best glare, "Well, at least I get better grades than you."

"Better grades?" Ian laughed, humourlessly. "At least I don't get suspended for fracturing someone's toe with my high heels."

"I'm still surprised you own a pair of high heels." I stated, monotonously.

"Yo-" Ian began, sounding outraged.

"Ian, man, aren't you joining us? We're heading to the plaza." Joey's voice cut him off, thankfully.

"Yes, I am coming. See you later, Quinn!" Ian smirked and left the classroom.

"What are you still doing here?" Kyra - my best friend - mused, leaning on the door frame.

"Unfortunately, I was engaging in a conversation with a teenage moron, with an ego the size of twenty million elephants." I shuddered at the thought, grabbing my bag and walking towards the door.

"You don't look too happy." Kyra noted, thoughtfully.

"No shit, Sherlock." I gritted my teeth.

"Take a chill pill, Quinnie. Don't let your step-brother ruin the first day of summer break." Kyra groaned, knowing exactly what made me unhappy.