Resentment| 9

There was nothing wrong with Yun, but for some reason, she couldn't bring herself to understand where she went wrong

There was nothing wrong with Yun, but for some reason, she couldn't bring herself to understand where she went wrong...something she knew she loathed. She had a problem, one she didn't know the technical term for, but it had been bothering her all day. Or maybe she did know the term for it, but just didn't want to bring it up again. It had been years since she first been diagnosed, and it wasn't something she wanted to hear again.

"What are you thinking about?" Matthew asked as Yun sat in his passenger seat, he was taking her to see his friend who was a therapist.

He was surprised when Nalani had called him late at night asking for him to take her to see someone. Their date had gone well and Yun had let Nalani in a little bit, but Nalani was concerned that Yun was holding in too much.

As soon as Nalani stepped foot in Yun's home, Yun grabbed ahold of her hand and told her to close her eyes.

"Yun Azula," Nalani stopped when she realized she had never asked Yun what her last name was. "bro, how come I don't know your dusty ass last name."

"I'll tell you my dusty ass last name if you close your damn eyes and let me do something nice for you," Yun's tone didn't hold any set annoyance or irritation, but on the inside, she was just burning with lots of emotions.

"Fine, what are we doing anyway?" Nalani asked as she closed her eyes and let Yun lead her.

Yun leads her into the kitchen with a ghost smile on her face, "We are going to play Sweet Canyon, as childish as it sounds, I used to play it every Sunday night with my mother before she died. You asked me to let you in, so I'm giving you a piece of my childhood."

Nalani opened her eyes to see two big bowls and two big spoons on the black and gold marble counter. She stared in confusion before she turned to Yun who had pain behind her eyes. "Why is it called Sweet Canyon?"

"My mom used to insist that our kitchen was just the right size for our little family, but to me, It was vast and wide and large...like a Canyon. The sweet part came in when she found out I had a sweet tooth." Yun's eyes glazed over as she thought back on all the times she played this game with her mother. "So the point of the game is to pick a kitchen object like the refrigerator, cabinet, or something like that and in 15 seconds you need to put every sweet dessert you can find in your bowl, but everyone starts with the ice cream of their choice in their bowl. In the end, you get to eat it. I hope you don't have any dentist's appointment soon, if so...Im very sorry."

"You're lucky I like sweets too, and if I get a cavity I know you got one too. It's just life, not much we can do about it." Nalani grabbed her bowl with a smile, happy that Yun was at least making an effort and doing something different from the stereotypical "normal" dates. Nalani wanted to get to know Yun in a comfortable space away from any noise or interruptions.

Yun being the lowkey extra person she is, went into the freezer and picked the Rum Raisin ice cream. Nalani rolled her eyes playfully grabbing herself the plain ice cream, she was truly a simple person who loved simple things.