Chapter 11

Leya's POV:

Sitting on a bench in the park, I pulled out my notebook, flicking through the pages as I quietly hummed 'Death Bead' by Powfu. The depressing theme of the song clashing with the well-meaning, light beat fascinated me.

Whipping out my pen, I started scratching on a new page, moving me head to the beat in my brain.

Then, almost in a whisper, I recited the well-known chorus.

"Don't stay awake, for too long, don't go to bed, I'll make a cup of coffee for your head, I'll get you up and going, out of bed, yeah..."

"Is there anything you can't do?" A calm voice behind me made me jump. Luka was leaning over the bench, watching me. I slammed my book shut in fright.

"Luka! You have got to stop scaring me like that!" I laughed, pushing his shoulder. He came to sit next to me on a bench.

"I'm serious, you know." He replied as I quirked an eyebrow curiously. "You're a good guitarist, a good singer- what can't you do?"

"Maths?" I replied, trying really hard not to chuckle at my own joke.

"You seem like a really creative person in general. I wouldn't be surprised if you were an amazing writer, as well." He cheekily responded. I gulped, as my heartbeat quickened, and I looked back towards my notebook.

"Well...that's for you to judge." I said, handing over the notebook before I chickened out. Having known Luka for 2 months now, I felt he was definitely my closest friend. He was so cool and a great listener, like me, and he put up with my goofiness despite being 2 years older. Most of the time. I would even go so far as to call him my best friend.

Luka's eyebrow raised so far, they disappeared behind his hair as he said,

"I knew it." I couldn't help but giggle at his occasional sense of humour. As he took it from me, he asked, "You've never shown this to anyone before, have you?"

"No. Not really." I don't think Nathaniel counts, he didn't actually read any of my poems. "I write at least a poem a day, when I'm bored, or when I need to get something of my chest. When I sit down and relax and take out my special pen that I got from my mum, the words just come to me." I explained, as he flicked through, my anxiety growing slightly as his eyes widened.

"They're pretty bad, right?" I chuckled, averting my eyes.

"Leya," Luka softly said as I turned back to him. He was staring at me, as he usually does. "These are amazing." My face immediately blew up in flames at those words.

"You think so?"

"All of these are so passionate, no matter what the topic. I can just imagine the way you're feeling in each of them, the words you use...they're so captivating. As are you." He added, a blush tinting his cheeks.

"Thanks. Now give!" I responded in an attempt to take the awkwardness away. I pretended I hadn't heard his last sentence, although on the inside I was silently freaking out. Jerking forward, I snatched the notebook out of his hands. He laughed heartily before miraculously pulling his guitar out of nowhere.

"It seems you have something like this, in your heart." He bent his head and began playing a soulful tune that sounded suspiciously like 'Death Bed', but...different.

"Are you psychic?" I teased, squinting my eyes at him. He smiled before saying,

"Maybe." I leaned closer, till we were inches away, staring at each other daringly. Suddenly, he burst out laughing. They were contagious.

"So...why are you here? Just felt like stalking me?" I asked.

"I wanted to get inspiration for a new tune. And I think I found some." He winked at me as my face resembled a furnace. I grinned and said cheekily,

"I hope you make the best of it."

Without warning, a bolt of green hurled towards my left side, hitting the tree behind me. We both shot up and spotted a new akumatized villain running rampant, turning people into...baked goods?

"Come on, let's go!" Luka tugged my wrist as we bolted, the screams of Parisians deafening me.