Chapter 6: Follow Me, Into the Shadows

Y/N's POV:
I ran as fast as my legs could carry me. I didn't really know where I was going, but I didn't care at this point. I knew I couldn't seek shelter in the cathedral, that would be the first place my father would look. I sighed and walked past it. I stopped in the town square, searching for someone to help me. I smiled as I spotted Esmeralda. "Y/N?? It's late. What are you doing here?" she asked. "I need your help," I said, "Please." "What happened?" she asked. I sighed, and explained everything to her. She offered me a soft smile and wrapped me in a hug. "Oh, y/n. I'm so sorry," she whispered. She patted my back lightly as I sobbed violently into her shoulder. I hugged her back tightly, feeling safe in her arms. "Come with me. I'll take you to the Court of Miracles. You'll be safe there," she said. "Are you sure?" I asked, "what if my father," She smiled softly. "Your father doesn't know where it is. It's in a secret location," she said. I thought about it before nodding slowly. She took my hand lightly, leading me through the square. I squeezed her hand lightly. I was a bit nervous. She smiled softly. "It's okay. Just follow me." I nodded, feeling a bit better. She led me down a stone staircase into the old catacombs. I gulped a bit as my surroundings grew darker. A skeleton suddenly jumped down from the wall, causing me to scream and jump into Esmeralda's arms. She chuckled a bit, moving her hand behind my knees to hold me closer. "Sorry about that," she whispered. I chuckled nervously. "Those are there to divert people who accidentally stumble into the catacombs," she explained. I nodded as she led me into the main part of the court. "Welcome to the Court of Miracles, y/n!" she exclaimed. I smiled enthusiastically. "It's beautiful!" She smiled. "So are you," she whispered. I blushed wildly.

Esmeralda's POV:
I watched as y/n explored the Court of Miracles. I loved that she was happy to be here. She never deserved a father like Frollo. I often wonder how such a cruel man like him could have raised someone with such a kind soul like her. I was completely mesmerized by her. Everything about her was perfect. I felt a light tap on my shoulder. "Yes?" I asked, turning around to see y/n. "Um, where am I supposed to sleep tonight?" she asked. "You can stay with me in my tent," I offered. "If that's alright?" She nodded. "It's perfect." I smile and take her hand, leading her to my tent. "Will we be sharing your bed?" she asked, causing me to blush softly. "I can set up a makeshift bed using extra pillows and blankets for myself and you can take my bed," I suggested. She shook her head. "No. I'm too scared to sleep by myself. I'm worried I might have nightmares," she protested. "Alright, we can share," I said gently. I watched as she settled underneath the blankets and patted the spot next to her. I joined her, wrapping my arms around her gently. She wrapped her arms around my waist and nuzzled her head into the crook of my neck. I smiled softly. "Goodnight Esmeralda," she whispered. "Goodnight y/n." I watched as she slowly drifted off to sleep.