Chapter 12: Someday

January 11, 1482 Paris, France

Esmeralda's POV:
I woke up on a cold stone floor. I was in the dungeon. I looked around. My people were terrified and feared their end was near. But not as near as mine, or y/n's. Where is y/n?? Today was the day of my execution. I was to be burned at the stake, y/n tied to the pole beside me. Her own father would be taking her life today. I wanted to have a few moments with her before that. Hold her in my arms. Tell her how much I loved her. But I didn't know where Frollo had locked her up. My only choice was to sing out from the loneliness of my cell, hoping she would hear me. "I used to believe in the days I was naive," I sang. "That I'd live to see a day of justice dawn," I continued. It was then that I heard y/n's beautiful voice ring out through the cold dungeon. "And though I will die before that morning comes, I will die believing still that it will come when I am gone," she sang. I smiled. "Someday, when we are wiser, when the world's older, when we have learned," I continued, pouring my heart into the song. "I pray someday we may yet live, to live and let live," she sang. "Someday, life will be fairer," I sang. "Life will be fairer," she echoed. "Need will be rarer, greed will not pay," we sang in unison. "Godspeed! This bright millennium!" "On its way, let it come someday" I heard her begin to cry from inside her cell as the other gypsies soon joined us in song. "Someday, when we are wiser, when the world's older, when we have learned. I pray someday we may yet live, to live and let live," they sang out. "There are some days, black and bitter. It seems we haven't got a prayer," I sang. "But a prayer for something better," y/n sang. "Is the one thing we all share" we sang in unison. "We all share, we all share," the gypsies sang out.
"One day"
"Someday"
"Soon.."
By the time we finished the song, we were all in tears. Even Clopin was crying. The door to the dungeon opened, and in came Frollo. Y/N shrunk back into her cell. "Y/N, Esmeralda, the time has come." he said firmly as he walked towards us, unlocking our cells. "You'll be joining us in Hell, shortly," I said coldly. "Hold your tongue, witch," he spat. Y/n said nothing. He threw two white dresses in our direction. "Put these on, and my guards will escort you to the platform," he said before leaving us alone. Y/n put the dress on, crying. "It's okay y/n. It'll be okay," I whispered. "We're going to die," she cried. I smiled softly. "At least we'll be together, wherever we are." Y/n sniffled and hugged me, for the last time. I got dressed and took y/n's hand as we walked toward the cathedral, ready to accept our fate.