Chapter 7: The Love they Lost

January 9, 1482 Paris, France

Y/N's POV:
I woke up entangled in Esmeralda's warm embrace. She was still sleeping peacefully. I smiled, wishing we could stay like this forever. In her arms, I felt complete. I felt safe. Her emerald green eyes fluttered open. "Good morning beautiful," she whispered. I smiled softly. "Good morning." "Did you sleep well?" she asked. I nodded. I tried my best to stop the tears from falling, but I ultimately failed. "What's wrong," she asked, the concern in her voice was obvious. I sighed. "I'm sorry, Esmeralda but I can't stay here. I must go back to my father," I muttered. "But you'll be in danger if you go back!" she exclaimed. "You'll be safe here." I sighed softly. "He'll take command of all of Paris. He won't stop searching until I'm found." I muttered. "But he won't find you here! I promise." "How can you be so sure?" I asked. "Because I'm going to do everything I can to protect you," she said. I shook my head. "He'll have you hung if he finds me. I can't ask you to risk your life for me. I won't." Esmeralda hugged me tightly. "Please, it's the only way to keep you safe. Please, just let me go." I pleaded. She shook her head. "I don't want you to go." I smiled softly and stood up, a pained expression on my face. "It's better this way. Goodbye, Esmeralda." I left the tent, not daring to look back. I didn't want Esmeralda to see me cry.

Esmeralda's POV:
I was at a loss for words. I didn't want to see her get hurt. Why did she leave? Was she not happy here? I thought she was... I sunk down onto my bed, still warm from where y/n had laid just moments before. I wanted her to stay. If only Frollo had never crossed her mind. I didn't follow her, for I knew that going after her promised certain death. But I also couldn't bare to see her punished for something as natural as love. My head was at war with my heart. I decided to seek Clopin's advice. I sighed as I exited the tent, to find him working on a new puppet. "Clopin? Do you have a second?" I asked. "What is it, Esmeralda?" he questioned. I took a deep breath. "I need some advice. "I may have just lost my soulmate." He raised a brow, clearly confused. "Explain." he said. "She ran away from her father. She needed a place where her father wouldn't search for her, so I brought her here. But earlier this morning she woke and declared that she'd be returning to him," I explained. "Ah, I see. And who would this mystery maiden be?" he asked. The look on his face conveyed that he already knew the answer. I sighed. "Y/N. Y/N Frollo," I muttered, barely audible.  He smirked playfully. "What was that? I couldn't quite hear you," he asked. I groaned, knowing he was teasing me. "Y/N Frollo," I repeated. "That's what I thought," he said. I blushed softly. "She is at war with head and heart, just as you are." I sighed. "What does that mean? I'm so confused!" I exclaimed. Clopin chuckled softly. "She wants to be with you, but she fears the consequences from her father," he explained. I sighed. "I just don't get it. How could such a cruel man like him have raised such an angel like her?" I asked. Clopin shrugged. "I have no idea." I blushed softly. "Clopin, please help me. I can't let her slip through my fingers. She's perfect." He sighed. "I'll try." I smiled. "So you're okay with this? You don't care that I'm in love with his honor's daughter?" I asked. He shook his head. "Not really," he admitted. "Do you know how dangerous this is? For everyone?" I nodded. "Yes, but I love her. I'm willing to take that risk."