Chapter 18: In Sickness and In Health

May 15, 1482 Paris, France

Esmeralda's POV:
I woke up to find y/n tossing and turning in bed beside me. She was hot and extremely pale. "Y/N? Are you okay?" I asked, gently shaking her. She woke up and smiled weakly. "Helena?" she asked in a raspy voice. "No, y/n. It's me, remember?" I asked desperately. She shook her head. "Helena, I know it's Sunday, but please tell father I cannot go to the church service this morning. I feel terrible!" I sighed. "Y/N, it's me. It's Esmeralda," I repeated. But she rolled over, turning away from me. I got up to get her some medicine. I was very confused. Why was she calling me Helena? I don't even know who that is! I looked over my shoulder as she whimpered in pain. "It hurts! Helena, go get my father!" she screamed. I frowned lightly. "Esmeralda? I heard y/n screaming. What's wrong?" Clopin asked, a concerned look on his face. I sighed. "She's ill, so ill that she's forgotten who I am. She doesn't realize that she's not with her father," I explained. He frowned. "Poor kid. What do you think is wrong?" he asked. "I don't know," I whispered. "Do you think we should take her to a doctor?" he asked. I nodded. "Come on. Someone has to know what's wrong with her," he said. I picked her up gently as Clopin and I rushed to the nearest clinic. "You're going to be okay, y/n," I whispered. "Helena, please. I want my father," she muttered. I sighed. "He's dead, y/n." "No, he can't be. Helena, please!" Her screams of anguish and pain only grew louder. I felt so guilty. I couldn't do anything to ease her pain. I held her close as we rushed into the main room of the clinic. "Somebody please help us!" I screamed. A doctor rushed out. "What seems to be the problem, miss?" he asked nervously. "I don't know! Just please help her!" I cried. He nodded, taking her from my arms. I was so worried. "She's in good hands now, Esme. They'll take care of her," Clopin whispered. "That doesn't mean I'm not still worried, Clopin!" I exclaimed. He hugged me tightly. "I know you are, but everything's going to be okay. I promise." I hugged him back tightly. The doctor entered the room. "Someone go get her father. She wants her father," he whispered. "He's dead," I muttered. The doctor sighed and nodded. "I see. Is she aware of this?" he asked. I nodded. "She is, but I think her illness is affecting her memory," I explained. "She doesn't even remember me." The doctor sighed. "Poor girl, can't even remember her own sister," he muttered. I kept my mouth shut from that comment. "Well should someone get her husband? He needs to know what's going on," one of the nurses said. "She's not married," I lied. "We're in the care of our uncle." The doctor nodded. "I see. Well, is he here?" he asked. Clopin spoke up. "Yes. That would be me," he confirmed. "Do you know what's wrong with her?" I asked. He nodded. "She has slight memory loss, due to a high fever. She's awake and alert. She remembers her name as well as the fact that her father was Minister Frollo. As she can remember her name, it is a very minor issue," she explained. "Will she be able to remember me?" I asked. He sighed. "Most likely yes, but all in due time dear. I suggest you embrace what she does remember. Flood her mind with memories of her father. She'll remember the rest in due time." I frowned lightly. I didn't have any 'good' memories of her father. And I didn't think he deserved to be called that. "Well, I'll get the paperwork ready to sign and she'll be discharged soon," he said before walking into another room. I nodded. "Thank you." Clopin frowned. "What are we supposed to do now? We don't have any good memories of Frollo," he said. I sighed. "I don't know, Clopin. Maybe give her false memories, or try to get her to remember us in some way." Clopin's face lit up. He had an idea. "What are you planning?" I asked, raising a brow. He smiled. "The archdeacon. He knew Frollo didn't he?" he asked. I nodded. "Yes, he did," I said. "Then he can provide y/n with all the memories and closure she needs!" he exclaimed. I nodded. "Let's go. We need to get her to the cathedral as soon as we possibly can," he said. I nodded. Clopin signed the discharge paperwork and we set off on our mission.