Chapter 6- Rivals

"Carson! Have you seen my bag?"

It was Thursday night and I had things to do to get ready for tomorrow.

My brother came to my doorway then. "Sure have," he said, "up your butt and around the cor- oh hey dad."

Dad came from behind him to peek into my room. He looked at the fresh outfit I put on and saw that I was tying my shoe laces.

"where are you going?" he asked.

"Dad, I told you yesterday. I'm meeting my friends to help set up the gym for the pep rally tomorrow?"

"Right." He said unsure of himself. I did tell him yesterday, only now did I realize he was probably too focused on his work to actually process what I said.

"Hey why don't you take Carson with you? I could use some peace and quiet in this house for once." He whispered that last part as if Carson couldn't hear it standing right next to him.

"hey..." Carson said offendedly. Dad ignored him.

"Oh but dad, he's just going to bother my friends. How are we supposed to actually get any work done if he's there to distract us?"

"hey..." Carson repeated in the same offended tone. I ignored him.

"That's my only condition. Either take your brother with you or you can stay home." And he left to go back into office.

Carson gave me a mischievous smile. My friends actually liked Carson. Why they did went completely past me. He had his own friends in the year above me, since he was a senior. Why couldn't he just bother them tonight?

"You help us, or I make you walk home." I pointed a finger at him, once again wondering how he was the older sibling.

Leah gave us a ride to the school where we met Maylan, her boyfriend Riley, and a couple of others that usually sat with us at lunch.

Some of us were moving equipment out of the way to clear the floor. There was a ladder by the wall, and I was helping Maylan stick a poster with some pep rally related message up there.

"Has anyone seen Walter?" Riley asked.

As Leah explained he had some family related thing tonight, I motioned fake gagging myself up to Maylan who laughed and said, "That is a sensitive subject for Adelaide. He bothers the hell out of her."

"Hey what the fuck," I heard Carson say in a serious tone, "I'm the only one allowed to bother her."

"My brother ladies and gentlemen." I announced to no one in particular. Carson just shrugged his shoulders before exiting the gym to get another ladder to help out. He was surprisingly useful this evening.

Leah came up from beside me and asked quietly so only I could hear her, "do you have any updates for me in the Tristan department?"

"I have no idea what you're talking about."