Chapter 9- Another Masterpiece

"Hi Grumpy

"Hi Grumpy." I greeted Tristan when I sat down at my usual seat in detention. He gave me head nod in return, not looking up from the notebook he was working with.

"I think Walter's actually mad at me." I whispered to him with an evil smile on my face.

He hasn't been the usual annoying perv he's been since I've met him. He must be pissed that I didn't back him up at the party, but I don't know why that surprised him. I've made it perfectly clear how I felt about him.

Tristan let out a scoff, "good, maybe he'll finally leave you alone."

I raised my brows at him. "Be careful, Tristan. You almost sound like you care," I teased.

Tristan looked at me for the first time since I sat down. His gaze was heavy on my eyes and just for a second, they darted to my lips. It was so quick that if I had blinked, I would have missed it.

But I didn't miss it.

He didn't say anything for a while. Then, with the smallest twitch from the corner of his lips, he went back to his notebook.

Before I could analyze too much, the teacher came in and we were silent for the rest of detention. I knew Tristan was done talking to me for the day. He barely said anything, but it was better than nothing.

I took out my own notebook and a pencil from my backpack and started doodling again. As I was tracing stick figures on my sheet, I felt Tristan look over at my paper.

It made me smile a little that he was curious enough to see what I was doing, but I wasn't ready for him to see yet. So, I made a wall with my arm and stuck my tongue out at him before resuming my doodles.

This time, I drew us at the party on Friday night. Of course, I was in my little stick figure dress and a smile was drawn on my face. I included Walter in the picture, but he was a gorilla with steam coming out of his nostrils. Tristan was facing him with his signature glare and I wrote grumpy at the top of his head again. I also added his fists at his sides that really just looked like a little ball attached to each arm.

Still, it was another masterpiece.

Mr. Pennded announced that our hour was up, so I quickly packed my things up and stood to leave. I folded my drawing in half and dropped it right in front of Tristan before grinning back at him and walking out the door.

————————————

Maylan, Leah, and I did not sit with the regular football boys we were used to sitting with. It was for the best, since Maylan and Riley officially broke up.

I only really tolerated them for Maylan. To say I was relieved they broke up was an understatement.

But I was still sad for Maylan. She was handling it surprisingly well all things considered but still, break ups are hard. I'm not sorry they broke up, I'm just sorry she had to get hurt in the process.

"Ladies." An annoyingly familiar voice greeted.

"What do you think your doing?" I asked my brother as he positioned himself in a chair at our table.

"I'm visiting my sister during lunch." He answered like it was the most obvious answer in the world.

"Carson, this isn't even your lunch period."

"It is now. I had to get a schedule change when I switched my electives." He said and took a bite from his sandwich.

"Okay so go find your friends." I told him.

"They all have B lunch." he said with his mouth full, "Plus, you guys are my friends." he finished chewing and smiled brightly at us.

"It's no big deal, I don't mind." Leah said, "do you?" she asked Maylan and she shook her head no while casually looking at Carson.

"See? I told you your friends like me." Carson said to me.

I let it go, I guess it wasn't such a big deal. Plus, Carson was such an idiot, so I figured it would be better for Maylan to have something extra to laugh at.

The rest of the day went okay, and I was at my locker packing the textbooks I needed for homework tonight. I had to dig around to look for my phone, I could have sworn I set it down right in front of me, but I couldn't find it.

I was too wrapped up in searching for it, that when Tristan came to my locker and asked what I was looking for, it made me jump.

He threw his hands up and backed up a step. "Didn't mean to scare you." He said with amusement in his eyes.

I let out a breathe of relief, "I'm looking for my stupid phone. I literally just had it."

"Do you need me to call it for you?"

"Would you? I don't want to be late looking for it, Mr. Pennded would hang me."

He pulled his phone out from his pocket and gave it to me to type my number in. The line rang and I listened for the buzzing of my phone around us. I felt the vibrations coming from my bag the next second. I guess I had put it in my bag without even realizing.

I gave an embarrassed smile to Tristan before thanking him, and then we walked to detention together. 

✨Authors Note✨

✨Authors Note✨

Grumpy says don't forget to vote and leave all your thoughts in the comments. :)