Chapter 41

Mate. Such a simple word meant so many things to the supernatural world. Your mate, soulmate, one true love, your equal, your life. Everything about the word was simple, but the emotions that it came along with was anything but that. The feeling that life had finally been given meaning, that deep feeling in your chest that told you that this was the one, this person was your one true match given by some unseen force.

The first time that you see them is the turning point in your life.

I let my brother go and find the girl, knowing that I would not be able to stop him even if I needed to in order to save his life. Who was I to try and break their bond up when Finn had been nothing but supportive of mine?

Whoever this girl was, she would be perfect for my brother, for this little family we had created. I didn't need to check her or figure out if she was worthy because if she was good enough to my big brother's mate, she would be good enough for the family and by extension myself.

My brother was next to her, looking into her eyes intently. She's going to have a big storm coming. Girl, my brother is one of the most possessive vampires I have ever met. Finn is worse than Nik could ever be, and he's a damn werewolf, the species that marks their mate with their teeth.

"Who is that girl?" The woman points to me. I laugh and wave towards her, causing her to blush slightly in embarrassment. I get it, girl, you thought I was some girlfriend. Get possessive as you want over your man.

"Do not worry about Astrid, mate, she is my youngest sister," Finn reassures her. "One of her mates is right next to her. His name is Damon."

"Are you ever going to introduce yourself or am I going to have to go first?" His mate snarks, causing Finn to clam up a bit. Finn, she's going to eat you alive if you don't get over that shyness! Be a gentleman and say something!

"Oh, sorry," Finn scratches at the back of his neck before stretching out his hand awkwardly, "My name is Finn Mikaelson."

Out of the corner of my eye, I can see Kol mouthing something at me. I turn to him and glare. Kol points to Finn and his mate and gives me a the hell is up with them? Look.

"They're mates," I whisper mouth at him, causing him to gasp and shake his head rapidly before giggling. "What's so funny you idiot?"

"She's my friend!" Kol looks to the two of them and then back to me, "My best friend is going to be fucking my brother." I groan at his vulgarity and watch intently as they shake hands.

"I can't believe that you're my mate. I mean, Kol talks all about you. He says you're a bore," Finn lets out a hiss. Kol, you better run or big brother will get you. "I hope that he's wrong."

"Just because I enjoy to read and learn does not make me a bore, Laurel. I promise you that I can entertain and show a good time. Kol, as you should know if you are friends with him, is an absolute terror and often paints anyone who does not tear people open for fun as a useless bore," Finn jabs at Kol, who he was now looking at from across the room, glaring daggers into him. I could see Kol carefully take a sip of his drink before he wandered off to find someone else to bother before he really pissed Finn off.

Kol, the brother who often got people in this family pissed enough to want to dagger him.

Myself being one of those people.

I love you Kol, but you are the absolute worst. Like, you are the worst and the only reason I make sure that Nik doesn't kill you at this point is because you're my brother. Ok, maybe that was a little harsh, but you literally don't know when to shut your mouth! Don't you dare let me figure out if you've talked shit about me, either, I will make you pay.

The party was nearing it's close when Sage decided that she didn't like the fact that Finn was hanging out with other women.

So, who's gonna tell her?

"Finn, I have been waiting for you for so long. Niklaus has finally undaggered you," Finn turns away as Sage tries to hug him. Sage looks at Finn's mate and smiles fakely, "Leave, street trash."

As Sage finished her comment, Finn threw her into one of the tables, hissing at her. "Never, and I mean never, talk about my mate like that again. In fact, Sage, never even speak to me or Laurel ever again. I don't love you, I hate you. Get that through your head. I don't want you and I will never go back with you," Finn seethes. Sage gets up, looking angry. She didn't even seem to be angry at the man who she claims to love, who just told her that he hates her. No, she looked angry at his mate, Laurel, who didn't have anything to do with why Finn was never coming back to her.

Even if he hadn't found his mate, he wouldn't go back to her, not after what she said to me.

"You damn whore, manipulating my Finn into thinking he's your mate. Finn has and will always be mine," Sage proclaims, growling in Laurel's direction. Finn tries to hold Laurel back to protect her, but she pushes past him in order to head straight to Sage, who was hissing in pain as her body healed from her injuries.

"I really don't care what you think is yours, because I know that Finn is no object to be obtained like you think he is. He is his own person and is able to see past your flirtations and delusions. Finn has and will always be my mate, which means that his heart is mine and my heart is his. If you actually loved him you would be happy for him, but we know that you don't look like you're in love, you look like you're obsessed with him," Laurel puts Sage in her place as Finn opens the back door to grab Sage and take her out of the house, annoyed beyond belief.

Even when Sage had broken a table, nobody in the room had even dared to glance over at the scene. Kol and Nik had likely compelled everyone who came to this party. It would have been a problem if something like this did happen and people saw. Compelling that many people would take time and energy, something that the Mikaelson clan was lacking at the moment.

"Please tell me that the rest of your family aren't as wild as Kol," Laurel whines, "I would just die."

I came a bit closer to the scene, making sure that everyone in the new group could hear me. "Believe me, most of us aren't as crazy as Kol, but Nik and Rebekah come pretty close. Henrik won't be a bother, he's just hanging out with Jeremy. Anyways, crazy exes are something we deal with often. My mates shared one crazy ex who is now dead."

Damon and Finn groan at the memory of the recently deceased Elena Gilbert. "Doppelganger turned doppelwhore turned vampire. She raised our bitch of a mother from the dead so that she could try and get Damon and Stefan back from my evil control. Some people are crazy and just don't get it when someone tells them they just aren't interested. Elena was a bigger pain than Sage. She wouldn't try to kill you, just sexually harass Finn. Actually, that's worse. Way worse."

"We can kill her later?" Finn suggests. Damn, Finn, you're suggesting cold-blooded murder? Things really are changing around here for the better. Before I would have assumed you were a pussy. Even the noble Elijah knows that murder sometimes is the best option when dealing with crazy people who try and break up family bonds.

"Only once I spend time with you and get out of this dress," She laughs, "Later. Murdering an ex is something that I've never done and all human's would wish to do. Being a vampire really has its advantages. Ah, the curse really does go both ways. You have immortality and you get pissy and broody after a few centuries, and you have humanity where you don't get enough time. I'll take a good side of immortality with humanity, please."