Chapter 6

Another day goes by and I'm cleared to go home. Bella and Katie come to help get me ready. I hadn't seen Bucky since our last conversation, I imagined that the Captain put him on some other missions already. The deal was that I would go back to having Bella as my partner. I just didn't think that I would be stuck in a hospital with serious injuries.

"So Bella, how did working with Joe go? As bad as you thought it would?" I ask as we walk out of the hospital, the fresh air hitting me skin making me inhale deeply at the feeling. It feels so good, so refreshing.

"He is not a good partner in terms of spies, but..." she trails off. I look towards her wondering why she stopped so short. She's looking back at me with a big smile on her face and pulls up her left hand where a big diamond is sitting. My jaw drops and I look to Katie in disbelief, she only nods.

"Oh my god?? You're engaged to him?" I'm shocked, Bucky and I were only gone for about a week.

"Weeelll I had kind of been dating him for over a year now" she says wincing like she knows I'm about to freak out. And I want to, but fortunately for her my concussion is keeping my volume to a minimum.

"Bella thats awesome, why the hell wouldn't you tell me??"

"Because he's an idiot so I was kind of embarrassed, but I really love him"

I laugh and shake my head, I can't believe it. I congratulate her and we continue to the car. While sitting in the back seat I look down at my own left hand, to the finger now bare of any ring. I touched the area and my thoughts go to Bucky. I care so much about him, but theres so many unanswered questions.

Because of my injuries I'm out of work for a month, at home and miserable. I haven't heard from Bucky at all. Its been driving me absolutely insane. Why say all of those things to me and then just stop all over again? Bella says that she hasn't seen him around and suggested that maybe he got sent on a solo mission and couldn't tell me. I couldn't be mad at him for that, some things are confidential. But I had this feeling in my gut that something wasn't right.

It was a Monday and I was finally getting back to work, although I wouldn't be out in the field just yet. I have to go through some extra trainings to get back in shape. But at least I would be at the headquarters. As I walk through the doors I'm greeted by familiar faces, excited to see me and asking me if I'm okay and all kinds of questions. I smile politely and answer who I can although my only goal right now is to get to my desk and see if Bucky is at his. When I finally make my way over, the area is empty expect for the papers I left scattered across my desk. Sitting atop Bucky's desk is the weapons training book that I had helped him find.

I sigh, feeling defeated, and sink into my desk chair placing my head in my hands. The phone at my desk starts to ring and I look at it for a second before reluctantly reaching over to pick it up.

"Hello"

"Y/n I'm really glad you're back, but we need to talk, meet me in my office," it was the Captain. I mutter an okay and make my way up to her office. I knock on the door and she lets me in, walking around to stand behind her desk. Last time I was in this office I was being told I would have to work with the dreadful Winter Soldier. Now I'm starting to feel lost without him.

"What's up Cap?" I say sitting myself down in one of the chairs she has in her office. It had really only been 20 minutes of me being back and so far my head felt like it was spinning. Maybe I wasn't ready to return yet.

"We need to talk about James, Bucky, he's in some serious trouble" she starts to explain. My eyes widen and the pain in my head starts to dissipate at her words.

"Serious trouble? Did he do something wrong? Is he okay?" I start asking frantically. The Captain holds up a hand as if to silence me.

"After interrogating the left over members of the farm, we found out that not only were they originally from Russia, but they once had connections to a force called Hydra. Those people are the ones who created The Winter Soldier." She tells me. My headache comes back in an instant.

"What do you mean they 'created' him?" I ask, confused.

"They are the ones who built his arm, which was connected to him in more ways than one. There's not really time to explain the entire story. We have intel that another part of the Svetlana and Boris' team are on their way to America in search of Bucky. They heard about the situation with the bunker and they are not happy."

I place my hands at my temples and try to wrap my head around what I'm hearing. My heart feels like its beating a million miles an hour.

"So where is he, whats happened to him?" I plead her to tell me. She sighs and walks to her office door, opening it and gesturing for me to follow. I hesitantly go along with her and she takes me down a hallway I have never seen before. We approach what looks like a simple custodian closet and step inside. Captain turns to face the back wall and moves aside a fire alarm trigger thats attached to the wall revealing a biometric pad. She sticks her thumb onto it and the room seems to start spinning. My first thought was the concussion, but soon we are facing the door and we step out into a hallway filled with metal walls.

"What the fuck" I under my breath. What kind of technology just switched the hallways like that.

We continue down the hallways and approach an elevator door. We step inside and start traveling down. That's when the Captain finally starts speaking.

"We've hidden him away for now until we can figure out exactly what it is the Russians want out of this. Without his arm attached he is no longer the weapon he once was. We don't know what will happen if they get their hands on him again. This is the agency's highly classified and secured bunker where we keep the most valuable weapons and criminals." She explains.

"Bucky is neither of those things" I say, anger starting to bubble up inside me.

"No, but he is valuable. The only way to truly make sure he is protected is to keep him away from everything and everyone...including you. I know that you two no longer hate each other and i'm sorry to have to keep putting you in these difficult positions," she says as we step out of the elevator and into a control room where there are security guards and two men in lab coats sitting at a switch board. In front of the switche board it looks like there's another big room. One of them turns around and greets the Captain.

"We'd like to see Mr. Barnes please" she says and he nods turning back to the switch board hitting a bunch of buttons until the hallway outside the room we're in starts spinning and a door opens up on the left side. We walk through the doors and inside the room is a glass wall, sitting within was the man who has crowded my mind so heavily.

"Bucky!" I say running up to the glass and putting both of my hands to it. His head slowly rises and he looks drained and defeated, but at the sight of me his eyes light up and he stands up quickly approaching the glass placing his hand where mine are.

"Y/n"

*authors note: sorry this took so long to upload! I have a lot of ideas for where this story can go, so stay with me! I love the support its gotten so far!! <3