Chapter 8

Y/n's POV

After Bucky had agreed to talk about his arm the Captain ordered the guards to release him from the cell. When they brought him out, I felt my skin heat up with the need to touch him. I turned to the Captain, 

"Please, may I just give him a hug?" I ask hoping she can see past how unprofessional this was, but understand the connection that Bucky and I now have. The guards pause their movements with Bucky standing in between them and the Captain gives a small nod. I let out a breathe and rush towards him slipping my arms around his neck. His one arm wraps tightly around my waist and we both relax into each other. It's just a hug, but in this moment and at this time, it means more to us than we would ever know. I pull away first to look him in the eyes. I bring my hand up to cup his cheek and he leans into the touch. 

"I'm going to figure this out, I will help you, and I will not let anyone hurt you." I promise him. He smiles at me, but I can see the enormous amount of sadness in his eyes. For the first time I could see how truly broken he was, how there really was so much that I didn't know, and the mask he once wore has been melted away leaving nothing but the shell of a man who once was. But I could also see that his feelings for me kept a spark there. That I am giving him a reason to keep fighting and that's exactly what I intend to do for him. 

After saying goodbye and watching him be sent off to another room, the Captain made the order for me to be taken back to the main headquarters. I wanted nothing more to stay and listen to Bucky's story. To make sure the Captain wasn't lying about it being an interrogation. To me, Bucky was my mission, and I should know all the facts. But as I was moved back towards the elevator and further away from the man who completely changed my life, I knew I would have to figure all of this out on my own. 

I explained the situation to Bella since she was now back to being my partner, and even though this had nothing to do with her she told me she was on board and she would bring Joe along too. 

"You sure letting Joe in on this is a good idea?" I ask, "Didn't you say he was a terrible spy" 

Bella laughs, "He is a terrible spy on the field, but behind the scenes, he's incredibly smart and he's got connections. He can get us the information we need, as well as the people we need." She explains. I smile feeling secured in our plan and ready to get to work. 

I sent Bella to explain this situation to Joe the best she could and have him start looking for any connections that may help us learn a little bit more about Bucky and his past. I start at his desk, looking around for anything that might give me any clues myself. I find the weapons training book again, laying flat on top of the desk and when I lift the book there's a journal underneath with sticky notes coming out of the tops and sides. I pick up the journal and open it, but then immediately shut it again. What if this wasn't just notes about the weapons training book. This is a journal, it's multipurpose. I don't want to intrude on Bucky's personal thoughts before I'm meant to hear them.  I have no right to go through someone's personal things like this.

Bucky's POV ~Meanwhile~

I sit in the dimly lit room with the two chairs again, the Captain in front of me. There are tears streaming down my face as I try hard to fight against my own brain. The Captain has been pretty patient with me, I think about two days have gone by of me coming into this room, crying and staying silent. I want to help, I want to fix this. But it's so difficult coming to terms with who I am, not only that, but once the Captain knows about the red book, the fact that I'm actually from the 1930's. She will have all the power over me and I don't know if I can trust her not to just build me into her own weapon against the Russians. I don't want to be someone else's weapon anymore. 

"Bucky, I have been very patient with you. But we need answers now. Please don't make me force it out of you" She says. And that statement right there makes me shut down even more. My body physically cannot trust her. I want to be done with this, I want to go home, live in hiding. Live with Y/n. I stay silent as the Captain approaches me with an irritated look on her face. I wince.