five

Obanai never minded his mother's  actions towards him, neither the lack of attention she gave him

She never hugs him, nor tells him she's proud or happy to see him, he never heard the words "I love you" coming from her mouth. She was always angry for some reason and got mad at him very easily, so he always did his best to behave.

He never laughed hard, never raised his voice, never ran inside her house, he didn't even had toys over there because she didn't want to see them laying on the floor. When he was at her place he couldn't go outside to play with the other kids, it was prohibited.

One day when she left to visit a friend, he  was bored and decided to go outside and play with the kids. They asked him why he was there and he simply replied "I'm visiting my mom." They didn't know who he was referring to and warned him about the witch from the neighbourhood.

He heard things like "don't go near that house or she will abduct you," "I heard a kid yelled in front of her house and he dissapeared," "my mom told me to be careful because she's cruel with kids and she doesn't want me to get in trouble."

He couldn't understand any of that. Why people say such things about his mom? In his eyes she was the best and most beautiful mom someone could ask for. She can be angry all the time but he loved her deeply.

He never paid attention to that, until he met Giyuu's family. The tenderness in Tsutako and her mother's voice, the kind words, their loving treatment.

He wants that from his mom now and he would do everything to make her happy.

༻✦༺

The jingle of the keys draw Obanai's attention from the TV, he turned his body and saw his mom. She was dressed in sportswear and was unlocking the door.

He tilted his head to the side, is she leaving again?

As if she read his mind, she spoke without sparing a glance at his direction,  "I'm going to jog with some friends, if anything happens call me. Not your dad, understood?"

He nodded and hummed, good, he can prepare the surprise for her.

She looked at him and raised an eyebrow, her lips were pressed together into a thin line.

Huh?

He blinked one, two, three times trying to understand why she was looking at him like that.

Right! She wants him to say it loud and clear.

Straightening this back, he puffed out his chest, as he replied "yes mommy."

The nod she gave him let him breathe and smile. "Alright," she mumbled and opened the door.

"Bye mommy! Have fun!" Obanai waved his hand from the couch.

His fingers tapped the backrest and bit his cheek in anticipation and once the door clicked after his mom stepped outside, he bolted towards her art studio.

Good thing she was redecorating and the furniture was outside the room.

He looked for everything he needed, and started sketching her favorite flowers (daisies and sunflowers) with a pencil on the wall. Once happy with everything he did, he set the paint close to him and with a brush he started filling the blank spaces.

The sound of the door opening made his heart race. She arrived sooner than he expected!

He tried to put everything in its place before she went up to the second floor, but sadly he tripped over the green paint pot and stained the floor. The sound it made was loud so it caught her attention.

"Obanai, what was that sound?" She asked in a wary manner, her footsteps were a clear sign she was going upstairs.

The was anything else he could do when she opened the door and let a loud gasp. He kneeled and dropped his head.

"I'm sorry mommy, I wanted to make you a surprise and-"

She didn't let him finish, "what is wrong with you!?" She stomped her feet all the way to him. "Look at the mess you made."

"