12

GREATNESS
— 12. Full Moon

The horns sounded as they sailed to the shores of Kattegat

The horns sounded as they sailed to the shores of Kattegat. Bjorn stood with Halfdan, eying Kattegat intently. "Home?" Halfdan asked his friend curiously.

"Honestly, I don't know anymore. I feel as though my home is right here," He admitted, turning to look at Ylva, who was at another part of the boat, "She is my home. She is worth more to me than life itself. When I am with her, no matter where it is, I feel at home," He smiled, looking downwards as he shook his head, "In all honesty, though, I do not deserve her."

"What we deserve and what we get, Bjorn Ironside, is never in balance," Halfdan reminded him, gaining Bjorn's curiosity, "It appears the gods are not much interested in fairness. Though you must admit, you two are truly a pair. You work well together."

"We do, don't we?" Bjorn replied and Halfdan laughed, patting him on the back before he walked to another part of the boat.

_____

Making it to the docks, Bjorn and Ylva climbed off their boat to find a crowd cheering for their return. Ylva's eyes widened and she smiled at the sight of her children. Gyda was holding Thyra in her arms while Rorik stood beside her, taller than he had been before. Erik and Halig stood alongside them as well.

Though Ylva could not believe the sight of her two oldest children. They looked nothing like when she last saw them. They matured a lot since she was last there. Gyda no longer wore a dress and was wearing the attire of a shieldmaiden while Rorik was wearing something a lot like what his father would normally wear.

Bjorn bent down, laughing happily as Erik ran into his arms. He picked his youngest son up, pressing a kiss to his cheek. He turned, hugging Halig and Rorik as well. He pressed a kiss to Gyda's forehead, taking Thyra out of her sister's arms.

Erik and Halig rushed into their mother's arms and Ylva hugged her youngest sons tightly. She turned to Rorik and Gyda next, since Bjorn had walked off carrying Thyra with Erik and Halig following close behind them.

"Oh, how much you've grown since I last saw you!" Ylva laughed happily, tightly hugging her two oldest children. She sighed and her smile faded as thought about it. They weren't her oldest, though. Freya was. And the only the Gods knew what she was up to know. She knew it couldn't have been good, not when she had herself involved with Ivar.

Some people worked well as a pair and accomplished many good things together, people like her and Bjorn. Then, there people who worked well as a pair, but accomplished nothing but bad things together and that was Freya and Ivar.

"Well, well, well. Look who it is," A familiar voice suddenly spoke up, causing Ylva's eyes to light up in excitement.

She whipped herself around, laughing happily at the sight of her brother. "Sihtric!" She exclaimed loudly, smiling widely