23

GREATNESS
— 23. Departure

   That night, in their room, Bjorn was sitting on the ground, a disappointed look on his face

   That night, in their room, Bjorn was sitting on the ground, a disappointed look on his face. "Do you want to talk?" Ylva asked, moving closer to Bjorn before she sat beside him.

Bjorn sighed deeply. He turned to glance at her before looking back down at the ground. "I have lost my father. I have lost our son Halig. And now my mother. And yet here is my father's dream. Right here. Everything he ever wanted for us. How strange."

Ylva sighed and moved to place a hand on Bjorn's shoulder. She looked defeat, watching as he walked to stand in front of the window.

She waited a moment before she stood up and walked over to him. She grabbed his hand and held it as she stood in front of him. "It's going to be alright, Bjorn. Everything will be alright. I know it. You were there when I was at my lowest. Now, I shall be here for you. No matter what. I promise you. We will get through this together."

Bjorn inhaled sharply before leaning forward. He pressed his lips against hers, passionately kissing her as he placed his hands on the sides of her face.

Slowly, Bjorn pulled away, smiling down at Ylva and affectionately stroked her cheek. "Now that I have met Gunnhild, I think I understand why you like her."

"Is that so?" She asked him in a playful tone.

"Mhmm," Bjorn hummed in response, only to have Ylva let out a loud laugh as he picked her up and carried her toward the bed.

____

  In the next room, Gunnhild was sitting by herself, drinking a cup of mead. She sighed in annoyance and rolled her eyes, seeing as though all she could hear was Ylva's moans of pleasure and the headboard from the next room banging against the wall.

Just then, it stopped and after a few short moments, she suddenly heard someone call out to her in a whisper. Her eyes widened and she turned to see Bjorn and Ylva standing before her.

Ylva was smiling, a blanket wrapped around her naked body. Bjorn stood beside her, wearing only pants.

"We want to ask you something," Bjorn informed her in a calm tone, wrapping his arm around Ylva.

"And what is that?" Gunnhild questioned, raising a skeptical brow at the duo.

"Come and join us, Gunnhild," Ylva encouraged the woman, a smile on her face.

"Come on," Bjorn added in and Gunnhild's eyes widened, shocked that the couple both wanted her to join them, "Don't you want to? You'll enjoy it. I know you will."

"You would so easily share your wife with another?" Gunnhild asked Bjorn, looking skeptical. She knew how Bjorn got about Ylva. Every Viking who knew of them did. Bjorn was easily jealous and would have no problem killing any man who dared to make a move on his wife.