17

GREATNESS
— 17. Imprisonment

Ylva sat next to Bjorn in the cell they were forced to share with the others

Ylva sat next to Bjorn in the cell they were forced to share with the others. Ubbe was standing, pacing the room as he felt consumed with anger at the fact that they had been imprisoned.

"How easy it proves to fool people. Look at us!" He roared out as he lifted his chains for the whole group to see.

"I have no fear of death," Ylva declared in a calm tone, "I never have. I shall embrace it when the time comes. But it is early for any of my children to die."

"We sailed into a trap," Ubbe added in a low tone.

"Bishop Heahmund has betrayed us," Bjorn added in, agreeing with Ubbe.

"I can't believe that," Lagertha argued in a calm tone, causing Ylva to scoff.

"How else was he going to get home, hm?" Ubbe asked Lagertha with an attitude, "He needed a ship. He needed a crew. We just gave him both."

"Imagine how famous King Alfred will be when he shows the Saxons our heads," Bjorn explained, only to become louder, "And the best part about it is we gave it to him on a plate!"

"He has a point," Ylva admitted quietly as she let out a large sigh in defeat.

"I still cannot believe that he betrayed us," Lagertha continued to argue back, refusing to believe Heahmund had betrayed her, of all people.

"And I cannot believe the famous Lagertha has proved to be a fool for love," Bjorn found himself saying, which caused Ylva to turn to look at him.

"Well, you have never been a fool for love, have you, Bjorn?" Torvi asked Bjorn sarcastically, causing Bjorn to look offended while Ylva smiled slightly since she knew Torvi had a point.

"This is where Ragnar was imprisoned and betrayed," Ubbe complained as he walked over to the bars of the cell, "And now, we will all die here, too."

"We survived as Rollo's prisoners," Ylva spoke up as she turned to Bjorn, "We may survive this as well. I know we can."

____

A day has passed and they were still locked in their cell. Bjorn sat with Erik in his lap, trying his best to comfort his son while Ylva did the same with Thyra. Torvi's children, Hali and Asa, sat with her and Ubbe and Ylva couldn't help but feel saddened at the sight of them.

She knew how much her brother loved Torvi and his children with her. Now, he was gone and the children would grow up without their father, a father who loved them more than anything in the world.

Just then, there was a thud and Ylva turned, watching as some Saxon guards. They demanded for them to get up, much to Ylva's concern.

She placed Thyra on the ground next to her, just before four guards grabbed ahold of her and Bjorn while others grabbed Torvi, Ubbe, Lagertha, Gyda, and Rorik.