21

GREATNESS
— 21. Disappearance

In their room, Ylva was sitting on the edge of the bed when Bjorn walked over to her

In their room, Ylva was sitting on the edge of the bed when Bjorn walked over to her. He stood a seat beside her, placing a hand on her back. "What is on your mind?"

"Our unborn child," She replied and Bjorn instinctively placed a hand on her belly, "We are to go to war. I know it would be wise not to fight, but you know I cannot sit this out. I never do. I always fight in battle, even when I am with child. I fought while carrying Gyda, Rorik, and Halig. I will not change my mind this time. I will fight in this battle."

"Who says I was going to stop you?" Bjorn commented, causing Ylva to smile as she grabbed his hand.

She turned to him, smiling as she kissed his hand. "Just like our other children when my belly swelled with them, I want this one to hear the cries of battle. I want him to become as great a warrior as his mother and father if he is to live long enough to take his first breath. I want him to be strong like his father and I want him to be clever like me. I want him to be passionate like his brother Rorik. And headstrong like his sister Gyda."

"You're not happy, are you?" He asked her in concern and a sad looked appeared on Ylva's face as she shook her head, "Why are you not happy?"

"I haven't been truly happy in months, Bjorn. You've just been too caught up in your issues to truly realize it. I've tried..." She trailed off, beginning to tear up as she tried her hardest not to cry, "I've tried to happy, but I cannot. Too much has happened. I am no longer sad, but I still feel a void. Everyone here has adapted to our new lives, but I cannot. I left too much behind. I was an Earl and then I was a Queen, but now what I am?"

"You are what you've always been. Ylva the Dread," Bjorn reminded her, cupping her face in his hands, "You are the mother of many great warriors. You are the daughter of Earl Sigefrid the Mad. You raised an army like no other at the ripe age of twelve and you became an Earl in your own right at thirteen, despite having two older brothers. You ruled through love, yet still inspired fear in others. You are like no other before you and most of all, Ylva, you are my wife and the mother of my children. You are my strength. And I know Sihtric was yours since you were a young girl, but I hope I may be your strength now in your time of need."

"And you shall be, Bjorn Ironside," Ylva found herself speaking in a soft whisper as she gradually began to smile.

Bjorn placed a hand on her shoulder and the other on the side of her face. The couple briefly kissed, just before standing up. "Now, it is time for battle."

Just then, the doors opened and Thyra and Erik entered, causing their mother and father to smile. They immediately bent down, allowing their two youngest children to rush into their arms.

  "Now, my children, your mother and I are off to battle with your brother and sister, but we shall return soon," Bjorn informed his son and daughter with a smile on his face.