25

GREATNESS
— 25. Alliance

  In the chapel at York, Ylva was standing with Rorik, smiling and cheering alongside the rest of the crowd as Bjorn walked down the aisle to marry Gunnhild

The smallest of smiles were on Bjorn's face, but he didn't seem all that excited to marry Gunnhild. He was doing it for Ylva, after all, he couldn't care less about Gunnhild. She would only be his wife in name, unlike Ylva.

He walked through and tapped the men's shields with his sword. The crowd dispersed and Gunnhild appeared in the middle, holding up his shield.

The crowd cheered once more and Ylva smiled, watching the woman lower her shield to reveal her face. Bjorn and Gunnhild stood in front of each other, grabbing ahold of each other's hand when the priestess walked forward.

They soon kissed and Rorik rolled his eyes as he watched, standing alongside his mother.

"How can you accept this?" Rorik asked, letting out a large scoff, "How can you let Father marry another woman?"

"Because he's not doing it for himself," Ylva replied, turning to look at her son.

"I don't understand," Rorik began to frown as he shook his head at his mother.

"Your father doesn't love Gunnhild. I do," Ylva confessed, causing Rorik's mouth to gape open.

He stared down at his mother, on the verge of asking her something when he decided not to. He shook his head slightly and looked away, only to lock eyes on Harald, who looked jealous of Bjorn.

"Look at this fool. He is pathetic," Rorik commented and Ylva smiled in amusement.

"He is in love. I'm sure you know the feeling," Ylva responded, giving her son a pointed look.

"I do. More than you know," Rorik replied, only to smile as he suddenly walked over to an unknown girl with brown hair.

Ylva frowned, watching as he grabbed the girl's hand. The girl turned to him, smiling up at him before they kissed. They gradually pulled away from each other and with that, they walked away together.

Feeling someone grab her by the arm, Ylva jumped in fright. However, she sighed and smiled when she saw it was only Bjorn.

"My love," He greeted her, smiling as he kissed her passionately in front of everyone, despite just publicly marrying Gunnhild.

Slowly, Bjorn pulled away, only to frown at the look on Ylva's face. "What's wrong?"

"Our son has found himself a woman," She informed Bjorn, a disapproving look on her face.

"Oh, you mean Amma?" Bjorn asked, causing Ylva's eyes to widen in disbelief.

"Amma?" Ylva frowned in confusion, "You knew about this?"