Chapter Thirty-Nine: Lies and Lacerations

Garrett is sitting, still looking super uncomfortable and disturbed, in one of Walker's black chairs

Garrett is sitting, still looking super uncomfortable and disturbed, in one of Walker's black chairs.  After a little convincing I got him to drink a cup of tea, which he's currently sipping, while he eyes each of my men with wary eyes.
   "Ann...honey...are you sure you can..." he looks at Branuel and Terrenel and then back to me, "...are you sure you can trust these guys? That one, especially looks...suspicious," and he points to Branuel Or De A'lanuel and I almost laugh, because hell yeah Branuel looks suspicious, I don't think he can not, not look suspicious.
   "Yes, Garrett, I can trust them, I trust them with my..." I swallow, "...life.  I trust them with my life." And I realized I did.  I really did trust them to keep me safe and to lay down their lives for me, if it ever came to that.
You're already beginning to realize it.
   Realize what, Chamuel?
   You are already making headway with the Dark Fae King.  You are beginning to trust him...
   No I—
   —Don't backtrack now, my amour, you said you trusted him
   I said I trusted him with my life.  That I trusted him to do whatever was in his ability to keep me safe, and I do.  As for the rest, I'm so not there yet.
   I know, beloved, I know.  But again, I said you're beginning to get there, and you are.
   Okay, whatever...
   "What are they doing?" That from Garrett.
   "Ooohhh this is gonna be good," Walker says and I shoot him a dirty look.  "Why don't you explain to the boy what you're doing, and HOW you're doing it."
Oh Jesus.
   I take a deep breath and exhale.  "Chamuel and I were speaking, Garrett."
   "No you weren't."
   "Yes, we were.  We have mindspeak."
   "You have what now?"
   "Mindspeak.  It's where you can speak mind-to-mind.  You don't have to utter the words out loud."
   Garrett looks pensive for a moment before asking.  "So you spoke to the angel directly to his mind?"
   I nod.  "Yes.
   "And he answered to your mind."
   Again I nod.  "Yes."
   "You haven't always been able to do this, though.  I mean, we can't do it.  And I know it's not like one of your innate powers.  I would've known, we would've done it before now, and or, I would have seen you do it to others."
   And here it comes.  I sigh.  "No, it's not one of my innate Treader abilities.  It comes with—"
   "—Just rip the damn bandaid off, darling girl," Walker says with an evil smile on his face.
   "Shut up, Walker.  I'll tell him how I feel like telling him." I begin to stroke Bento a little more strongly, and Bento purrs and rolls onto his back revealing his belly to me.  "Ohhh you silly kitty," I murmur, "You want some belly scratches," I begin to stroke Bento's little belly and laugh when he purrs even more loudly,
   "ANN!" Garrett yells.
   I jerk my head up.  "Sorry, what?"
   "Will you stop petting that fucking damn cat and answer me?"
   "Do not ever speak of my familiar that way, boy." Walker narrows his eyes, "I once threatened to cut out your tongue if you couldn't keep it civil, and I will, do not think I wont.  It will make an excellent addition to my collection."
   "Ohhhh, could I watch, help even?" Branuel Or De A'lanuel asks, rubbing his hands together.  "I do so love a good taking of the tongue."
   "Oh my God, Annora, honey, do you hear these guys? I told you that one was suspicious.  And he's a fairy.  He could be our—"
   "—Don't even say it.  Don't even think it, Garrett," I grind out through clenched teeth.  My bond to Chamuel strengthens and knots, making the stone in my chest ease a little.  "I'll give you a pass because I KNOW this isn't you.  But you were rude to Walker's familiar, and to me.  Bento is my friend and you insulted him.  And then you insinuated something that isn't true.  Walker has every right to be cross with you."
   "Ann why are you being like this?"
   I run a hand across my eyes and sigh.  "Garrett we can try to talk, or you can just sit there and argue with me, in which case, I'm going to tell you to take your butt home, because I don't have time to deal with this shit."
   "Ann..."
   "NO!" I say firmly, continuing to pet Bento (he really does calm me).  "I'm not budging on this, Garrett.  You are my partner, and I respect that.  I will share what I have about THE CASE, and the case only.  I will give you what I feel is necessary for us to close this case and catch this sonofabitch, but everything else is off limits...unless I choose to clue you in.  And then, it's MY choice, do you understand.  You won't brow-beat it outta me. You won't threaten or try to make me feel guilty.  I'm done playing this 'game' with you, Garrett."
   "It's not a game," he says so sadly that the stone cracks and begins to crumble a bit.  "Its never been a game with you, honey, and it never will.  I'll...I'll listen and I'll try not to insult anyone," he eyes the cat, "or...anything...but honestly...I just feel...I feel...off, honey.  I just feel like the only thing that will fix what's wrong with me, is you.  Actually I know the only thing that will fix this is you."
Actually the only thing that would fix it was that bitch healer.  Damn it.  We needed to figure this shit out ASAP.  I couldn't have Garrett running around like this.  He was a liability and every word he spoke to me was like a laceration to my heart.
On a positive note, he seems to have forgotten about the mindspeak, my beloved.
   Shush! I say to Chamuel, I don't want to tempt fate any.  Let's try to leave it at that...the whole, he's forgotten about it part.
   "Garrett, you know I care about you," I say, "You know I love you—" I ignore my guy's growls and Garrett's wide smile and continue, "...as my partner.  I love you as my partner.  You have been a terrific partner, and I trust you to always have my back.  Isn't that enough?"
   "No, Annora honey, it's not enough." Garrett sighs, "But for now I guess it'll have to be." His eyes brighten, "Because I know in the end you'll be with me."
Oh boy, we REALLY needed to get that healer bitch to fix this.