Chapter Six: Legend

Link has six states of existence: Fuck this, fuck you, fuck me, fuck it, fuck that, and fuck yes.

He's currently experiencing four of them at once.

After the traveler passed out, the ranch hand had picked him up so they could continue walking. Rather, so they could start walking in the first place, since the damned monsters stopped them in the middle of packing camp up.

'Fuck that' was his current feeling about being attacked by monsters, being impaled, and having the traveler pass out. 'Fuck you' was reserved for the monsters alone. He was feeling the 'Fuck me' and 'Fuck this' states because despite all of his best efforts, he's getting attached to these losers. He worries about the traveler, he feels the need to protect the sailor, fuck, he's fond of the captain and the stupid way they tease each other.

Well, jokes on them, he's had people leave him before. He refuses to get any closer to the lot of them.

The traveler had awoken halfway through their walk, just in time to point them in the right direction when they reached a fork in the road.

"We'll reach the Town of Rauru by nightfall, then tomorrow we can get to the Northern Palace with enough time to talk with Dawn and Aurora."

True to his word, they got there at sunset with surprisingly few attacks. They booked an inn, the vet's haggling skills from Ravio getting them rather cheap rooms, and now he sits outside, the stars making up for the lack of a moon.

He sits there, thinking. Why was the traveler willing to give all of his energy to heal Link? Was it because of the legends about him in this time? Or did the traveler feel obligated to help after the veteran's encouraging words last night? Besides that, he's been pretty much nothing but rude to everyone. Why would any of them care? Is it a Hero's Spirit thing?

And then there's the matter of Sky.

He's a nice guy, a nice guy who wields the sword that ruined his life. A nice guy who's dating the first Zelda, and eventually becomes the first king. A nice guy, who starts the royal bloodline.

A bloodline that Link is a part of.

Sure, he's a bastard prince or whatever. Doesn't make him any less related to Sky. And he's not going to tell him about it. It just gives him a reason to get attached, and he refuses to do that. Not after his uncle. Not after Koholint. He's already attached enough to Ravio, he doesn't need anyone else.

And from the looks of it, Sky would get very attached if he knew. As Link said, Sky is a nice guy. So even though the veteran does not care at all how Sky feels whatsoever, he wants to spare him the feeling of losing someone.

(He says that, and yet he cares very much about how Sky feels. He must have inherited his damn mushy ness from him.)

"Vet?"

He heard the traveler open the door and walk over, and yet he still jumps slightly. Link turns to look at him with a glare.

"You should be resting. You overdid yourself today."

"You should be resting too. Even if I healed it, you lost a lot of blood."

"Why are you here?" He spits out harshly, feeling kind of guilty when he sees the traveler jump. Still, he sits next to Link on the creaky porch of the inn, pulling his knees to his chest.

"I couldn't sleep, I usually don't get a lot of rest while I'm out adventuring since the monsters will take any chance they have to kill me if they find me. So, after I saw you leave the room, I- well... I may not be comfortable with new people, but I didn't like being alone either. It- it was... kind of scary, to be honest."