You run into each other

Scott

It was a nightmare situation. 

Due to several strikes by public transport workers in different sectors taking place, there were not enough busses to handle the massive amounts of passengers. 

One of which, was you.

As the bus stopped, you quickly got on, ready to take a seat, relax and listen to some music before having to go to another work meeting. This, however, did not seem to be the case as you shuffled farther and farther through the rows of seats, finding none empty. When reaching the near back, you simply gave up.

"Welp! Guess this means I'll just stand for half an hour–" 

"Excuse me Miss, but you can have my seat if you want." You caught the movement of the man next to you as he got up.

You turned to the kind gentleman with a big smile. "Really? Thank you–... Scott?" 

The red masked man tilted his head, just as surprised as you were. "(Y/n)? Hello! How are you?" 

"I'm doing great!" You readjusted your bag's strap over your shoulder. "You?" 

"Eh, work's got me running around, but otherwise I'm still alive, so that's good," he spoke, an obvious hint of nervousness reflecting in his voice. He didn't seem to enjoy his job, you noticed.

"Yeah..." Silence fell after that. It stretched on too long to be comfortable, only interrupted when you stumble slightly as the bus moves again, bumping you against Scott. He hurriedly put out a hand to grab you. Your face flushed.

"Y-You know," Scott motioned to the now empty seat beside him, "my offer still stands." 

"Oh, no. I mean, I appreciate your offer but–" your eyes dart from his mask to the seat and then back again, "I can't possibly..." 

"(Y/n)?"

"Yeah?" 

"Please sit down so I can stop worrying." 

You frowned. "Worrying about what?"

"You, Miss (L/n). It seems to be the new normal ever since the incident."

"Oh, yes, that." Your attention flickers to the outside world as your thoughts took on the shape of your assailant and saviour (that being the man standing before you now).

You bite your lip as you make your decision. When the last bit of hesitance leaves, you nod and sit. "I'm sorry for causing you so much trouble, Scott. Thank you." 

"It's alright (Y/n), really! I just..." he readjusted his grip on the roof bar. "I don't have a lot of people I care for in my life, so I guess I just can't help myself from wanting my friend to be safe and comfortable, ya know?" 

"I'm your friend now, am I?" you smirked playfully. Scott chuckled and reached for the back of his neck. He was about to apologise when you continued. "Then, as a friend, I would like to make it all up to you by inviting you out. Does coffee sound good? What time fits you?" 

"W-Well," he managed as he grasped for composure, "my shift ends at 6 am..." 

"Every morning at 7 it is then!" 

"Every morning?" 

"Sure! Why not?" 

"That..." Scott cut his own objection off. After a night of fighting off monsters, he deserved to treat himself, so why not? "You know what? Yes, I would like that. Shall I meet you at the shop on Cassidy Street?"