T H R E E

"I was scared of pretty girls and starting conversations"
[Riptide - Vance Joy]

Mack walked out onto the bleachers and instantly found Jo, who waved enthusiastically with a big smile on her face

Mack walked out onto the bleachers and instantly found Jo, who waved enthusiastically with a big smile on her face. Mack sat down next to her and pulled out her lunch and looked around. She quickly spotted Kai sat with a group of the football boys, including Ben. Kai has quickly become popular due to his cocky and outgoing personality and his sarcastic humour. Kai said something that Mack couldn't hear and all the boys erupted into a manly fit of laughter, throwing their heads back and clutching their sides. Her sight shifted slightly to the left where Mack saw a group of the popular girls, who sat with resting bitch faces braiding each other's hair and applying more makeup. They were probably gossiping about the boys to their right or Mack and her mystery new best friend. All of a sudden the girls burst into a wicked laughter and all glanced over at Jo and Mack in-turn. Mack scoffed and rolled her eyes, not believing she used to be a part of that group.

It had been two weeks since Kai had driven Mack home from the diner and since then her and Jo had only grown closer, sitting with each other at lunch and hanging out after school when Mack wasn't with Ben. Mack's attention was turned back to Jo when she asked:

"Hey, I was wondering if you'd want to come to mine for a sleepover this Friday?" Jo said before taking a bite of her sandwich, looking at Mack kindly. Mack's expression perked up, the thought of not having to spend time with Ben.

"That would be great, what time should I head over?" Mack said excitedly. Jo waved her off and finished her mouthful.

"Oh don't worry about that, I'll have Kai take you home from school. Although I'll have to meet you back home because I have to go pick up my little brother and sister from school." Mack nodded and frowned.

"I don't want to be any trouble." She replied. Jo shoo her head.

"Not at all, Kai will be happy to take you and I'll be less than an hour. I'll have Kai make you a snack when you get in or something." Mack nodded slowly before thanking Jo and taking a bite of her banana she had been peeling.

As Mack and Jo chatted Jo patted her on the shoulder before pointing in front of them at the group of boys.

"Look!" She spoke as Ben waved Mack over. Mack blushed and Jo winked at her before pushing her out of her seat and towards the boys. As Mack walked down she noticed the popular girls glaring her down over their sunglasses. She rolled her eyes and kept walking.

She reached Ben and he grabbed her hand, pulling Mack down to sit next to him. He kissed her cheek and rested his arm over her shoulders, bottle of water in the other hand.

"Hey babe."

"Hey." Mack spoke back, trying to hide her fear. She caught Kai's eye and he winked at her, but Ben luckily didn't notice.