SIXTEEN

"Cuz parents aren't always right."
[parents - YUNGBLUD]

PARALYSED, aching, vulnerable, crushed, tormented, dejected

PARALYSED, aching, vulnerable, crushed, tormented, dejected. Kai stood frozen in place, unable to move from the spot - feeling as heavy as lead, as empty as a dead man's eyes, as broken as the promises he had made. Time seemed to stand still as the boy watched the little red car drive away, it's silhouette only getting smaller and smaller as it drove further and further down the tarmac rode.

Then reality hit him. A sound of anguish tore from Kai, a heart-clenching sound that bounced menacingly off the street, filling the once-silent area with the noise of his sadness. It's stung is vocal chords, strained his mouth and rattle off his teeth.

Then it went quiet again.

His solemn footsteps filled the quiet night with a melancholy vibration as he paced quickly to his scratched-up car. He'd need to fix that - the damage could become suspicious. Getting inside, he started up the engine and drove off with little hesitation, desperate to get home and possibly hit something.

Kai bit back a wince at the sight of the crumpled up empty packet of pork rinds lazing on the passenger's seat, his mind flashback to every time Mack would make a sound of disgust whenever he'd start chewing obnoxiously on one. He quickly swiped his tears from his damp cheeks before focusing back on the road, gravel crunching meticulously under his tyres, the wet sound of the sticky tarmac the only noise accompanying the purr of the Jeep's engine.

Suddenly, Kai slammed the brakes so hard he was jerked forward in his seat, chest aching against the tight strain of his seatbelt. Kai gathered himself quickly, unbuckling himself and getting out of his car. With fast paces, he walked towards Ian's car that was laying abandoned at the side of the road - empty.

Kai walked around the car, vexing down to peer inside the windows yet he saw nothing. He stood back up, hands fisting his hair as he let out a frustrated groan. That's when he noticed the car keys strewn carelessly in the glistening grass. Kai's eyes blew wide, he picked them up and clicked the button.

Yellow-orange lights flashed from the red car.

"No no no." Kai muttered, yanking the driver's door open and rooting through the glovebox, the pouches on the back of seats, the boot, anything - not really knowing what he was looking for. A small, silver glint caught his eyes from the grass again - next to where the keys had been. Kai was quick to investigate, picking up the silver watch crested with the unmistakably Gemini symbol beneath the ticking hands.

Kai threw the piece of jewellery roughly at a nearby tree, letting out a shout of rage before he was running back to his car and jumping in - not even bothering to put on his seatbelt before he was driving at 100 miles an hour towards his house.

...
A groggy state filled Mack's clouded mind, a metallic rattling noise colliding with her ears like nails on a chalk board - jolting her sore body awake. Her head was hung low, toes dancing precariously on the gritty stone floor and arms strung up above her by long, thick chains. She was acutely aware of the persistent throbbing on the left side of her head, along with the stabbing pain echoing across her cheek. What she couldn't figure out was what caused them.