TWELVE

"I really fucked it up this time"
[little lion man - Mumford & Sons]

THE small diner rattled with endless chatter, the edges of milkshake glasses clanged together and the scraping of forks against plates played like sour music in the background of Mack's mind

THE small diner rattled with endless chatter, the edges of milkshake glasses clanged together and the scraping of forks against plates played like sour music in the background of Mack's mind. She twirled her straw around her cup mindlessly, dragging the plastic through the creamy-foam sitting at the bottom of the tall glass in little circles.

"Kenz? You alright?" Kai's voice drew Mack out out of her daze, her head snapping up and eyes trained on Kai's steel-blue irises as his hand cupped over hers on the small plastic table. She just stared at him for a moment, his gaze softening. She gave him a small, unconvincing smile, which he returned.

"Yeah." She simply said and Kai raised a brow, pulling away from her and sitting back in his chair, arms crossed over his chest. Her eyes narrowed and he breathed out a laugh at her glare. "No. I don't know." Mack sighed and he nodded.

"That doesn't surprise me. Look, Kenz, you need to figure out if this is a good thing for you. Forger Ben -he was a dick; forget your dad - he will love you either way; and forget me - I couldn't give a shit what you are, you're still my best friend and you always will be." Kai reassured and Mack was sure she felt her heart melt slightly at his words. She pondered over his words for a moment, humming thoughtfully.

"I think it's good for me." She finally answered and Kai smiled. "But, I don't know if I'll ever get over killing Ben." She added, a grim expression overtaking her. Kai's smile faltered and he leant forward again, taking Mack's hands in his and rubbing his thumbs over the backs soothingly.

"Don't worry about it, I dealt with him. Hell - I could make the word forget him if you wanted me too." Kai shrugged and Mack shook her head.

"No, I need to deal with the consequences of what I did." She all but whispered and Kai let out a frustrated sigh, falling back again before standing up.

"C'mon, let's get out of here." Kai suggested, offering his hand which Mack took. He pulled the girl to her feet, leading her out of the small diner and began walking her down a seemingly deserted road.

"Why do I feel like you're taking me somewhere to murder me?" Mack suggested dryly and Kai chuckled, almost darkly.

"And you really think I'd do that without a good bye fuck first? Is that what you truly think of me?" He mocked shock and Mack smacked his arm.

"Oh I'm sorry, gentlemanly as ever, I see." She giggled and their laughter chorused against the thick trees lining the road. Kai abruptly halted to a stop, not even faltering as Mack bumped into him after realising they'd stopped. "Why are we...here?" Mack asked nervously, looking around the deserted road where no one was sure to be for miles.

"Well, Kenz, as you asked so nicely..." Kai began, spinning to face his friend with a wide, mischievous grin, "you don't seem to be taking the gift of life seriously enough," she slapped him in the chest at that, "so, I thought I'd show you how thrilling it is to be alive." Kai smirked with a sparkle in his eyes that Mack had never seen before.