08

nina walked up to the door of her classroom but stopped as she saw kourtney sitting in her seat at the beside red

she was confused but then looked at the front of the classroom where "please sit with your project partner," was written on the whiteboard.

she let out a sigh and looked at the back of the classroom where ricky sat. he was hunched, on his phone.

here goes nothing.

she walked over to the desk beside ricky and said a small, "hi," but sat down quietly when he just looked up at her but didn't say anything.

they sat in silence for a couple minutes as nina didn't know what to say and ricky just didn't want to say anything at all. she waited for further instruction from her teacher and looked around the classroom to see everyone already talking to their project partners.

"nina," she jolted her head as she heard mr mazzara call for her.

"yes?"

he pointed at the whiteboard and when she looked over she saw "task for the class: work on project," written. again, she let out a sigh and got out her binder so she could read the criteria.

"um, so we have to choose an insect to research and if they are in the area, go out and find them," she read off the paper, finally saying something to the boy.

he nodded.

"right. so, what kind of insect do you want to research?" she asked.

he shrugged.

"okay, well there are a lot of options- bees, flies, butterflies, do you have any you want to focus on particularly?"

he shook his head.

"um, okay. well those are all pretty common so let's look some up, yea?"

he nodded and pulled out his phone to hopefully search up some other types of insects.

after a couple minutes, nina set her phone down in frustration, "um, i can't really find any other uncommon ones that people might not choose. did you find anything?"