27

a week passed and nina still felt cold towards what carol had said to her. nina still talked to her moms everyday but she kept up an act while they spoke so they didn't assume anything was wrong.

however, despite what her mom said about not seeing her biological family, she still made an effort to talk to them. often, she would go over to their house after school and spend the rest of the day there, just bonding with them.

she obviously felt so guilty because she was doing the opposite of what her mom had told her, but she couldn't help but be with them- they were her new happy place.

this day was no different. after school, she sent a quick text to serena telling her that her class was over and asked to pick her up.

as she waited, she hung out with her friends by their lockers with ricky's arm around her shoulder, and they talked about random things happening in their lives.

they also talked about where they would be applying for post secondary and they all suggested places that they would go to, all over the country. it saddened a lot of them to know that they may not see each other everyday anymore but they all felt better knowing that they made a pact to come back to salt lake during holidays.

"oh serena's here," nina told her friends as she felt her phone buzz.

"i'll walk you," ricky offered, earning a smile from his girlfriend.

they all said their goodbyes as ricky and nina walked away, hand in hand, to the parking lot.

"are you having dinner there again?" ricky asked as they walked.

"yup, i wish you could come," nina replied.

"me too, but i promised my parents i would help them clean out our storage room," the boy responded, rolling his eyes.

"it's okay, you've come with me practically everyday. i think i can handle this alone," she chuckled.

ricky and nina gave serena a small wave as they approached her car. they walked over to the passenger side and ricky gave nina a small peck on the lips before he said, "bye nini, call me if there's any problems," and walked away.

as she got into the black g wagon that her sister owned, she set her bag down and let out a breath before she put her seatbelt on.

"so, nini huh?" serena asked.

"what?"

"he's calling you nini."

"oh," she chuckled, "yea, he gave me a nickname."

"it's cute," serena replied before she started driving.

nina just nodded as she picked the album they were going to listen to during the ride back to serena's place.

"hey, so you know how you've brought ricky over like everyday?"

"yea? oh shit, are you guys tired of him already? he's not coming today."

"no," serena laughed, "we love ricky, you guys seem perfect for each other."

"oh, then what..."

"um, so i wanted to bring my boyfriend for dinner tonight," serena hesitantly says, "he's already met mom and dad and he knows the whole story with you being olivia and everything, so i wanted him to meet you."

"oh my god, i get to meet the ryan manning?" she over exaggerated.

serena let out a laugh at how extra the younger girl was being.

"you better not embarrass me, mom and dad do it enough."

"of course i won't, i need to make a good first impression," nina winked.

when they got to the cruz house, nina gave hugs to charles and julie and they began spiking up an intriguing conversation but was interrupted, about an hour in, by a door bell.

serena went and answered the door and nina heard quiet laughter.

"must be ryan," julie said, and nina nodded.

serena walked in with a tall man wearing glasses, and a black outift.

"nina, this is my boyfriend ryan, ryan this is my sister nina," serena introduced.

"hi, it's nice to meet you, serena's been talking about you nonstop," ryan said.

"believe me when i say she's been talking nonstop about you too," nina chuckled.

the three of them went into the living room so the two could get acquainted while julie and charles finished making dinner.

it was clear to see that they shared the same, but different, love for serena. nina was dying to know their story so for the next half hour or so, the couple told the girl when and how they met, and how their relationship bloomed.

 nina was dying to know their story so for the next half hour or so, the couple told the girl when and how they met, and how their relationship bloomed

+

"kids, dinner's ready!" charles exclaimed.

"coming dad!" serena yelled back.

nina, serena, and ryan made their way over to the dinner table but a knock on the door gathered everyone's attention.

"who's that?" charles asked.

"i don't know," julie replied, "nina, i thought ricky wasn't coming tonight."

"he told me he wasn't," the brunette replied, confused as well as to who was at the door.

the person knocked again, harder, bringing more confusion to their faces.

"one second!" julie yelled before shrugging her shoulders and making her way to the foyer.

the rest of the family sat down and waited for julie to return, but they all turned their heads at the bickering they heard.

mumbles of an argument were heard as the sound travelled from the foyer into the kitchen.

"mom, is everything okay?" serena asked as she got up and headed to her.

charles, ryan and even nina followed as the bickering got louder.

"i have no idea what you're talking about, i would never do such a thing," julie said to the hidden person outside.

"you would and you did."

"mom, what's going on?" serena asked.

"i don't know, this lady-"

"nina!" the woman yelled when she saw the brunette approaching, but subtly hid behind charles.

the girl came into view to see who was at the door. her jaw dropped as she saw not only one, but two of the people she would've never expected to see.

it can't be- they wouldn't-

"mamas?"