3

Noah's P.O.V.

"Where are you!?", dad asked frantically from the phone.

"Dad, calm down. My uh, my car broke down so my boss just let me stay at his house. We needed to talk about work."

"Noah please don't fuck your boss."

"I will do my best."

"And don't lie to me." I felt my cheeks heat up,

"Sorry. But you don't need to keep tabs on me dad. I am an adult."

"I know, I know. Don't remind me." He sighed, "But you're still my kid and I drove by and saw your car was gone and you still usually tell me your plans. I just got worried."

"I know. I just got distracted. I'm sorry."

"It's fine. You don't have to tell me everything now. It just makes me feel better."

"I know." I paused, "Can I come home tomorrow night? I wanna talk to you."

"Baby you can always come home. Whenever you want. Anything specific you wanna tall about?"

"Not really. I just feel like we haven't in awhile."

"Me too. I'll see you tomorrow."

"I love you."

"I love you too kid." I hung up as Reese leaned back in his chair, a smug look on his face,

"You shouldn't lie to your dad."

"Yeah, yeah. He called me out too."

"Good."

●●●●

Late in the night, a soft scratching woke me up. I sat up from the heavenly bed, sighing in relief as I realized it was Lanie at the door. I got up and opened it as she looked up at me and whined.

"What? Wanna go outside?" She jumped up, her tail wagging as she yipped softly. I laughed, "Shh! C'mon." I walked down the wooden staircase and to the backdoor, opening it. As I did, lights came on to light up the fenced in yard and Lanie took off to the grass. I stood on the porch, smiling up at the clear sky. Reese lived in the middle if nowhere, giving a perfect view of the sky. 

"Noah?" I jumped as Reese came outside, letting out a deep breath, "What are you doing?"

"Lanie wanted out." He laughed,

"She has her own door. She just wanted you to play with her. The alarm went off on my phone, I thought someone broke in."

"Shit I forgot you have an alarm. I'm so sorry."

"It's okay. It only contacts the police if I don't turn it off in five minutes."

"Oh. Good." We both froze as Lanie stopped near the edge of the fence, which ended a few yards from the woods. She started growling and barking angrily at something as Reese stepped to the edge of the porch,

"Lanie! Come!", he yelled. She growled a little more before backing away from the fence, whining. "Lanie!" She turned and ran past us and into the house as a low laugh came from the woods.

"Reese?"

"Go inside."

"Reese-"

"Go inside now Noah!", he snapped, spinning around and gently shoving me in the door. He followed behind, shutting and locking it before taking out his phone and locking the whole house. "Lanie!", he called. She came into the kitchen slowly, her tail still between her legs. He crouched down, petting her softly, "It's alright girl." She calmed down and laid on the floor, staring out the window as Reese dialed a number on his phone, "Hey. He's back. Okay. Thank you." He hung up and opened a drawer, taking out a gun as I stepped back,