4

Noah's P.O.V.

"Why are you standing?" I jumped at Reese's voice,

"My God. How long have you been standing there?"

"Long enough to know you're avoiding sitting down."

"I-I just feel like standing." He gave me a hard look as I sighed, "I called dad to pick me up from a club last night."

"Why were you at a club?", he sighed.

"I-I guess I just wanted to go out and make bad decisions. I dunno."

"You could have called me too y'know."

"I considered it long before dad but it just felt unprofessional."

"We don't really do professional here Noah.", he laughed, "Besides, I'd rather you call me than end up dead or hurt."

"Thanks. I will next time."

"Uh there better not be a next time."

"I'm an adult Reese. I can go to a club."

"Why'd you call your dad to go get you then, Mr. Adult?"

"I-" I paused, "I was hanging out with this guy and we were making out and I got uncomfortable and asked him to stop. He got mad and tried to drag me off and I panicked and hit him. Then I panicked more and called dad. Nothing like that has happened since college."

"What happened in college?"

"I-I went to a party my freshman year and I-I-I got raped.", I whispered, "But you can't say anything because my dad doesn't even know Reese. I-I don't really know why I told you."

"Because you trust me Noah.", he whispered before walking over and hugging me tightly, "I'm so sorry that happened. Both things."

"Thanks.", I said softly. He nodded, stepping back,

"I wanna talk to you about something."

"Okay..."

"I drove by your place the other day."

"Reese-"

"Noah you can't live there when it gets cold and stuff."

"Reese I'll be fine-"

"Just listen to me. Please." I nodded a little. "I want to close the office. I wanna open my own practice in my house and do what your dad does. I've been talking about it a little with him since we met. But I want and need you as my assistant."

"Reese...-"

"Move in. It's better than either of us living alone, it's safe, I can run my business with your help and we can kinda do our own thing."

"That's a huge offer Reese."

"Just... think about it? Please?" I nodded as a comfortable silence swallowed us.

"I... have always wanted a dog."

"So...-"

"So I'm in. Let's do this."

●●●●

Reese stopped his fit of laughter and our cookie dough war,

"You- nevermind."

"What? No, what is it?" He smiled a little,

"You make me feel alive. Like I'm sixteen and in love with life again." My heart raced,

"Everytime I'm around you, I feel a constant rush of adrenaline and excitement. I don't know why." He stepped towards me a little,

"I-I...I really wanna... kiss you..."

"So do it coward.", I laughed. His hand landed around my throat loosely as my breath caught in my throat, "I'm not surprised."

"I know you went in the basement.", he smirked.

"I...I was looking for wine."

"Well you found much more."

●●●●

Dad and Ella walked into the office, something seeming off.

"Hey guys. What are you doing here?"

"We were in town and I forgot to tell you that we're gonna be at a hotel for a few weeks."

"Oh. Why?"

"The upstairs bathroom flooded the other night so we're getting it fixed."

"Oh. Well you guys can stay with me if you want. I'm in the middle of moving out so there's more room."

"We might. Is there any way you could drive Els home? I think we both need a little break from each other."

"Yeah, of course. No problem."

"Thanks kiddo." He left as Ella sunk  into my chair behind me.

"What's going on?", I asked, leaning on the desk. She hesitated,

"I...I tried to kill myself." We both looked up as Reese walked out with a patient,

"I'll see you next week Mrs. Haron." She left the building as he turned to Ella, "Why would you do that?"

"You weren't supposed to hear that."

"Why? Because I'm a professional? Because I could help you?"

"Because I shouldn't have done it."

"What happened?", I asked. She sighed,

"I took a bunch of pills, got into the bath, and cut my wrist. But I-I did it wrong. Dad found me passed out when the bathroom started to flood."

"Are you okay?" She shrugged,

"Yeah. The doctor's said I was. Now I'm on antidepressants and stuff."

"Are you seeing someone?", Reese asked. She shook her head,

"My dad's a therapist."

"Well you could come to me too. Or I could give you guys some recommendations. It helps to talk to someone you don't know." I nodded,

"I talked to like four therapists before something worked. I talk to dad, just not about everything."

"I do too." Reese sighed,

"And if you guys need a place to stay, please come stay with us."

"Reese, you don't have to-"

"It's your family Noah. Unless you have a problem with it, we have plenty of space and I think it'd be kinda fun." I smiled, nodding a little,

"Okay. I'll tell dad."

●●●●

"Ella!", I called through the house.

"She's probably up in the library still.", Reese said, smiling, "She's been living up there."

"I'll go get her.", dad said leaving the kitchen.

"Thanks for letting them stay here.", I said softly. Reese scoffed,

"Are you kidding? I haven't had this much fun in years. I never really got the like... family experience... It's nice." I smiled, nodding,

"Well you can borrow my family anytime."

"Thanks.", he laughed. Someone knocked in the front door as Reese stopped, clearly confused, "Stay here."

"Reese-"

"Stay here.", he said sternly. I stood in the doorway as he went to the front door, opening it to a man and a younger boy. "Can I help you?"

"Reese Harper?", the man asked.

"Yes."

"We're your brothers."