20

Alex's P.O.V.

"Will you tell me a story?", Ella whispered as I played with her hair. I'd been trying to help her fall asleep for almost six hours. Since about eleven. I nodded sleepily,

"Yeah. It's actually something I've wanted you to know for awhile." She shifted her head on my chest, looking up at me,

"What is it?"

"I was in the foster system too as a kid. You knew that."

"Yeah. You don't talk about it."

"Well I'm about to.", I sad softly, "See, my dad was a really great guy. My mom was really sick. He did everything he could to help her, but nothing ever worked. So when I was almost ten, my mother shot my dad during a schizophrenic episode. She panicked and called the police, but he was gone. After that, I got put into the system. On my eleventh birthday, the foster family I'd been with for three months legally adopted me. Two weeks later, they gave me back. I shook it off as financial trouble. Then I was adopted by another couple when I was thirteen. I was back in the system within three months. That happened two more times after that. I'd basically given up at seventeen, deciding I would be one of those fucked up kids who aged out and became some sort of addict until they died, and that's when I met Ashton and Luke. I was a punk ass kid with a lot of issues and initially told them I'd rather spend my last year in a group home than live with a couple of fags. I still beat myself up about that one. Ashton and Luke told me that wasn't an option and I didn't get a choice. I was really mad for a long time."

"Why didn't you run away?"

"Well I did. I decided to play it cool at first. I just kinda shut down the best I could for about a month. Then, in the middle of the night, I snuck out and took Luke's car. But... I had barely even been in a car, let alone driven one. I made it three miles before I crashed into a tree. And I was going fast. I honestly don't remember much, but I remember Ashton and Luke running into the E.R. absolutely panicked. And I remember them talking to me while I fell in and out of consciousness. And I remember them taking care of me. And helping me learn to live with a broken arm and collar bone. And how to write left handed. And so much more. They didn't take advantage of me when I was in a really vulnerable position and that spoke more to me than anything in the world. After that, I really started trying. My grades went up, I got a job, I started working in mentor programs- I did better. One of my absolute best memories is seeing how proud they were when I graduated high school and got into a really good college. All my teachers said I couldn't." I paused, "The moral of my story, is that sometimes you think people are the right ones and they aren't and just because the wrong people abandon you does not mean you don't deserve the love and care of the right people. And just because stereotypes say you can't do something doesn't mean you can't. I really do understand a lot of what you're going through kid. I don't just say that to make you feel better, I get it."

"I'm sorry that happened. And I'm really glad you got Ashton and Luke. I wanna meet them.", she yawned, "And I'm really proud of you too."

"Thanks kiddo. Me too." I sighed, "I miss my dad and I'm still sad I lost him, but at the same time I'm really grateful I gained two dads from the situation. Even if it took forever."

"Unfortunately, happiness isn't immediate."

"But it still comes eventually."

●●●●

"So... the girl?"

"She's at school.", I laughed. Luke sighed,

"Stupid school. I wanna meet her."

"You're impatient.", Ashton rolled his eyes.

"Yes and?" I laughed a little as the front door opened and both of them perked up.

"Alex? I'm home.", Ella called, "You're not gonna believe what happened today."

"Oh yeah? What happened?", I asked meeting her in the living room. She hugged me briefly,

"So, I got lunch detention- but before you get upset I had a good reason." I sighed,

"Continue."

"So I'm sitting in english, reading my novel with my headphones in, and I guess the teacher had said something to me but I didn't hear her. The boy behind me reached up and snapped my bra and was like 'Ms. Mackin wants you' with this stupid little grin and I was like well you don't need to fucking assault me to get my attention and when I stood up to go to her desk, he smacked my ass so I turned around and hit him as hard as I could."

"Did he get in trouble?"

"No."

"Of course not. I'll go to the school tomorrow. Are you okay?"

"Oh I'm fine. His nose is gonna be expensive though."

"That's my girl. Hey, listen-"

"Who's that?", she cut me off. I turned around to find Luke and Ashton peeking around the doorway. I sighed, laughing a little,

"That would be Luke and Ashton. Surprise!" She lit up a little, clearly trying to not make a huge deal of it,

"Oh, hi."

"Hey kiddo."

"You're so pretty.", Luke gushed. Ella giggled, her cheeks turning red,

"Thank you."

"Can I hug you?" She nodded quickly as him and Ashton both did,

"We've heard so much about you.", Ashton said softly, "We can't wait to get to know you."

"Me too."

●●●●

"We should talk.", Ashton said after I put Ella to bed.

"Okay. About what?"

"Letting us take her in."

"No.", I said quickly, "Not on the table."

"Alex, you're still young. You really wanna raise a teenager?"

"That one? Absolutely. And I promised her I would never leave her or abandon her like everyone else has. I get that feeling and I refuse to let her have it again. She's staying with me."

"Then why don't you both come home?", Luke whispered, "Alex, we only got two years as your dads before you were onto living your life. And we're so proud of you, really. But we miss being your dads. And we're too old now for them to let us take in another kid." I hesitated,

"I'll talk to Ella about it. That's a really big change."

"We think it'd be good for both of you though." Ashton said.

"I do too."