19

Reese's P.O.V.

"Dad is unadopting Ella.", Noah whispered in the empty kitchen.

"W-What?"

"He said it's too hard. He thought he could do it but it's too much and he doesn't know how to raise a girl and he's getting too old."

"We have to adopt her then."

"We can't. They won't let us Reese."

"But she's family."

"I-I know."

●●●●

I was standing in Ella's doorway, peering into the almost empty room.

"You okay?", Damon asked softly.

"This is the most I've ever failed. As a brother or a therapist or a human being. This is it."

"She's gonna be okay."

"I know. I know she will I just- I fucking hate that she has to know what it feels like to be excommunicated from her own family."

"This was never supposed to be my family.", Ella whispered, walking into the room to get her last two bags.

"Yes it was. It still is. Michael is moving out but you're still welcomed anytime."

"You don't get it Reese. Everyone gets tired of me. Everyone. Noah is over it, you guys will get fed up, everyone comes to their senses eventually." She paused, "But this was the best home I'd been in. And I was in a lot. Here, I forgot I was adopted sometimes. I-I guess now I'm not."

"I'm so sorry this happened Els."

"Whatever. Maybe it's for the best. I'll never be able to repay you guys." Alex came in and took her bags,

"You ready?"

"Yeah."

"I'll meet you in the car." He left as she sighed,

"Or him."

●●●●

Lily bounced down the stairs happily,

"Daddy!"

"Hey baby!", I said picking her up, "You're in a good mood today." She nodded,

"The house is happy again! It was sad and angry for a long time."

"I-I know love. I won't let it get like that again."

"Good. I did not like it."

"Me either."

Ella's P.O.V.

"Hey, you alright?", Alex asked, standing in the doorway of my new room. I nodded,

"Yeah. I'm great."

"Well ever since you moved in you've been really... not yourself. Like all quiet and timid and low maintenance."

"I...I just don't wanna get on your nerves. I really appreciate you taking me in. I don't want you to get rid of me immediately."

"I won't get rid of you at all kiddo." I paused, nodding a little bit. "I know. You don't really believe me. I get that, but I'm telling the truth. And I'd like it if you stopped faking it. I want you to be high maintenance. I want you to be loud and annoying and upbeat and to be yourself. This is your home."

"Thanks Alex."

●●●●

The front door opened as I quickly jumped down from the counter, scrambling to turn off my music.