Chapter 5: That Face

Right away, Shane pulled out his pistol and fired. He was amazing taking them out one by one with a perfect headshot. The rest of us followed. I killed one. I missed twice, then after the third shot the walker face planted on the ground.
We cleared the area, then proceeded. I looked around at all the walkers. About twenty.
"There's only one way to take em down completely...headshot." Shane said.
"And what if you don't take a headshot?" Otis asked.
"They keep comin right atcha. Don't believe me, see for ya self!" Shane said as he pointed to a walker coming our way. They make this noise, like they're growling or snapping.
Shane shot the walker once in the leg, it kept coming. In the other leg, it kept coming. On the shoulder, it kept coming. Then finally in the head.
"Wow..." I said in shock.
"So just take a quick headshot, or with your knife run up and stab and you'll be okay.
We walked into the city. There were flipped buses, cars, dead people and walkers, old burned buildings because the army bombed Atlanta at the beginning.
After walking through the terrible city that was once full of people on every corner, now dead, we reached the hospital. I had a feeling that right away, there was no good news on the other side of the doors. Shane tapped three times and we waited for any sign of dead or alive inside.
Nothing. We walked inside and the smell was horrid. We all coughed, but I couldn't stop. "You okay Beth?" Daddy asked me with a worried expression.
"I'm okay." My eyes started watering because of all the coughing and the smell. "Here.." Shane handed me a mask that dentists and doctors wear.
"Thanks." I said as i smiled and slipped it on. RELIEF. I thought.
Daddy patted me on my back. "Stay strong, let's go."
"Rick is in the K wing which is upstairs. We have to take the emergency stairs since the elevators cleary ain't workin." Shane said as he retreated and we followed. We passed by the cafeteria. The doors were chained up and had DEAD INSIDE weitten on them with blood. I gagged. As we got closer to examine the door, scratching came from the other side. The hairs on my neck stood up and I got chills all over my body. Shane stoop in front and touched the blood.
"It's dry." Shane said as he smelled his hand, his expression said that the smell was horrifying. "The only way to the back up stairs is through here, or through the back wall, and that's where the dead probably is...Shane said turning around to look at us.
"Well, we gotta do what we gotta do and if that's what we gotta do, let's get it over with." Daddy replied looking at me for approval. I threw a thumbs up.
"Well, what I think we should do is, clear out this floor, then head up. Look for food, medical appliances, clothing...anything and everything helps! I'm almost positive that if we do find your dear friend Rick, he'll be a hungry man. So with that being said, lets go to work but we gotta hurry we don't know how Rick might be holdin up...and we're not splittin up."

***
For fifteen minutes we wiped out thr whole bottom floor then made our way to the back stairs. They were outside so we exited and I pulled out the keys that I had grabbed from one of the offices.
We walked to the door and on the grass there was a dead body. Immediately recognized the face. Most of the body was eaten.I walked closer and leaned in. Tears immediately started rushing down my face.

It was my boyfriend Josh.