fifteen / hardware

My mom and dad stood outside of the entrance to the Honolulu International Airport, waiting to help me get my bags into the car. As soon as I made my way out through the double doors they started to cheer excitedly, causing several other people and tourists to look our way.

"Do you guys mind being a bit more subtle for once?" I hissed out.

"My daughter just got second in the Maui Pro on the Championship tour!" My dad called, making sure that he caught the attention of as many people as possible.

"I hate you," I said as I gave him a hug, blushing from the amount of people who were staring.

"Congrats Riv, we're so proud of you," my mom added, giving me her own hug.

After we finished with the small celebration, we loaded my boards back into the car and hopped in. "So, we were guessing that you would probably want to go to the hospital? Everyone else is there now and would love to see you," my dad spoke up from the front seat.

"Sure, sounds good," I answered as we made our way down the roads that were becoming all too familiar.

My dad wasn't lying when he said that everyone was already at the hospital. The small room immediately got crowded as we entered, as Will's whole family and Evan were already there. Adding to the chaos was the fact that Evan stood across the room facing Will, and they were tossing a baseball back and forth using their gloves. Will was of course seated in the hospital bed, but he clearly had no problem throwing from that position.

As soon as I walked in, Evan made a motion to throw the ball at me and I put my arms up in front of my face and turned around. When the impact failed to come and laughter filled the room, I spun back around and glared at Evan. "Nice to see you too, bro."

"Congrats River, you surfed great this week!" Rachel spoke up from the corner of the room where she sat leaning into her husband. Koa nodded in agreement and I thanked them.

"Speaking of surfing great, we know that you already got a nice big trophy, but we figured that one didn't seem personal enough for you," Noah called from his seat on the floor, "So we made you a better one."

"The Sanders and Lancer families, but mostly the Sanders family because Evan put zero effort in, would like to present this trophy to you for managing not to suck for your rookie season. It also doubles as a trophy for your second place finish because we didn't bother to make two," Will shrugged, "to River Lancer, presented to you on this fifth of December for your outstanding achievement."

He held out an upside down styrofoam cup that had a straw sticking up through the bottom that was also sticking through another cup that was right side up. Pieces of straw wrapper had been taped to the bottom of the right side up cup in order to create a decorative fringe.

"Wow," I said, taking it from him and formally shaking his hand, "This is such an unexpected honor. Thanks for all of your intensive... efforts."

He shot me a grin while Noah called that he wanted more recognition, and I went over to sit on the ground near Noah. There were only about three chairs in the room, and I didn't really feel like standing after surfing all day.

"So, what's the news about the back infection?" I asked, glancing around the room.

"Some of the cuts in my back got infected, the doctor said that it's nothing too intense though. Just antibiotics through the IV for another two weeks, but they gave me this nice PICC line to take them through so my arms shouldn't get as bruised," Will proudly showed off his arm, which was now decorated with even more tubing. There was nothing connected to it right now, but I could see where the IV would get hooked up.

"He also got his graduation from the hospital gown taken away, they decided to hold him back for a few more weeks," Noah joked while his brother narrowed his eyes at him.

"It's just for now with the infection, the doctor decided that having something that tied in the back would allow for easier monitoring of the wounds and less aggravation," Rachel interjected before her sons could start arguing, even if it was just playful.

"So what we've learned from this, River, is that you suck at helping people get dressed," Will said, nodding and raising his eyebrows at me.

My parents looked at me with a confused expression, and I felt myself getting defensive. "For the record, I was helping him change his shirt without aggravating his back. There was definitely nothing else going on, but I hope that you guys wouldn't even think that," I said with a look at my parents, "Second of all, is that actually how you got the infection?"

"Nah," he replied, "It was probably just unlucky, but the doctor said that I was doing everything right so it wasn't my fault."

"Okay, good," I almost sighed in relief.

The two families settled back into their own conversations regarding interesting events in anyone's lives. Evan would be heading back to school tomorrow to wrap things up before finals, but he would be back before Christmas soon. He mentioned that the baseball team was doing well and had two scrimmages with local teams before they went home for winter break. Additionally, Evan mentioned that a bunch of his teammates had texted him when they heard that his sister made the finals and offered their congratulations.
"Needless to say, you're not allowed to date any of them," Evan clarified upon finishing his story.

"Evan, you can't tell River who she can and can not date. We've established this- neither you or your father get that privilege," mom reminded him.

"Just please don't," Evan amended his statement, groaning when I shrugged my shoulders playfully.

Eventually, we decided to clear out and let Will get some sleep. He was still more tired than usual, and we didn't want to encourage him to stay up when it wouldn't help him in the long run.

Just as I was turning to go out the door, Will called after me. "Hey, River, wanna come to PT tomorrow?"

He and Noah exchanged a quick look before he turned his attention back to me. Not knowing what to make of it, I nodded and asked what time it started.

"Four, and don't be late!"

"I never am..." I trailed off, still slightly confused about what was up. 

Not that anyone cares, I'm about to spoil tonight's Braves game for you.

Since it seems like I am going to be dedicating these author's notes to Dansby Swanson, just wanted to let you know that he hit 3 doubles tonight!!! Tragically then he was out at home, but at least my fantasy pitcher got the save. Fun fact, I was also listening to this game from the radio broadcast bc it was blacked out hahaha. Anyway I have no idea what I'm doing when I write these but it's kinda fun. See ya soon folks.