eighteen / rookie

"Hi River, take a seat," Quinn, my manager who was also affiliated with Ripcurl, gestured to the seat across from her. We were at one of the nicer restaraunts on the island, and were seated on a deck overlooking the beach.

    I took my seat and skimmed over the menu before making my decision. Finally, after the ordering and pleasantries were out of the way, I felt comfortable asking about the purpose of the meeting.

    "So, is there anything specific that we need to go over?" I asked, looking up at Quinn from my pasta.

    "Actually, there is. So this was your first year on tour, does that give you any clues?" She asked, looking at me expectantly.

    "Ummm..." I leaned back and looked around, wondering what I could be missing.

    "A certain set of World Surf League awards, perhaps?" Quinn suggested.

    "No way."

    Her red painted lips parted into a wide smile. "You've been nominated for Rookie of the Year. It's no guarantee, of course, but from the way that you surfed this year I'd say that you have a good shot at it."

    "So what happens now?"

    She folded her hands and placed them on the edge of the table. "Well, we would like for you to do some more press before the awards. Engaging with the fans and other members of the surf community always looks good, plus it can be fun. Other than that, the awards are in a month in Australia. The only unfortunate thing is that it's pretty much hurry up and wait, but it is a good thing to have to wait for."

    "You are free to tell your family and friends. The nominations go out on all WSL platforms tomorrow, so it's not much of a secret. We'll be in touch with the media opportunities, but it should be pretty straight forward interviews. Anything long distance can be a call in, so you can still have some of your offseason here."

    I smiled, still slightly overwhelmed by the news. The WSL awards had been no where close to on my radar, even though I had grown up watching them. It was always fun to see casual surfers get dressed up for the event, not to mention the fact that it was fun to see the highlights from the season.

    "Thank you so much, I'm excited for the opportunity. And thank you for all of your support Quinn, it would have been a lot harder without you."

    "I appreciate the kindness River, but I didn't do anything to help you surf well. That was all you."

    The sun set over the waves as we finished up our dinner. I thanked Quinn for her time before heading to my car and back to the house.

              It was impossible for me to keep the smile off of my face when I entered the kitchen of our cozy house. My dad was wiping down the counters as he cleaned up from dinner, and my mom was at the kitchen table on her computer.

              "Hey Riv," my dad looked back down to the counter before quickly looking back up at me, "What's happened?"

              "Did Will ask you out?" My mom asked, looking up from the computer.

              "No mom, this actually has to do with my career," I said rolling my eyes.

    "Ignore your mother, she and Rachel have been going crazy lately. So, what happened?" My dad pressed.

    "You could be looking at your future rookie of the year..."

    My mom slammed the computer shut and lept up from the table. Dad on the other hand stood still staring at me for a few more seconds before tossing the washcloth aside to give me a hug.

    Seconds after the hugging and screaming ended my mom insisted that we call Evan, who was as enthused as an older brother can be when he's surrounded by his roomates. We talked as a family for a few minutes about how they all planned to come out for the award ceremony, because they were very confident that I had won.    

    A few of Evan's roomates also jokingly promised to come out and support, before revealing that they checked their bank accounts and it wasn't quite going to fly.

    "But hey, a rookie of the year is always welcome to throw out a first pitch at our games," one wearing a backwards baseball cap yelled from the back.

    "Wow, what an opportunity. I can't imagine what it would be like to throw out one pitch on a college baseball field, much less play in front of a whole stadium," I responded.

    "It is pretty crazy, you're welcome anytime," hat-boy answered.

    "Justin, don't be an idiot. She's a professional athlete, she has more fans that you ever will. She's messing with you."

    I gave Justin an innocent smile before turning back to Evan. The conversation ended fairly quickly after that, and I went to bed shortly after.

~~~

    I strutted into the hospital room then next morning, flipping my slightly damp hair over my shoulder. Will raised his eyebrows as he looked up from his phone.

    "Are the nurses just letting any stranger in these days?" He questioned.

    "Only ones that are up for the WSL Rookie of the Year award," I responded, sitting by the window to gauge his reaction.

    Will our his phone down next to him and shrugged with a smile, "I'm not even surprised. But good job."

    He extended his fist for a fist-bump and I looked at him, stunned by his lack of reaction. "What?"

    "You're clearly the best rookie on tour, male or female. They'd be stupid not to pick you."

    "Well, thanks I guess."

    While I was slightly surprised by his lack of surprise, it was at least nice to hear the confidence that he expressed in me. I just hoped that I wouldn't let anyone down when they got there. We sat still for a few seconds before he spoke again.

    "Riv, I'm really sorry, but I don't think that I'll be able to come. I would love to be there for your first big win, but I have to be here for rehab," he said, looking at me with a pained expression.

    "Will, I would never expect you too," I was surprised by the fact that he addressed it, but understood even if I would miss his family being there. "This is more important than a chance at some award."

    "Well, it is the biggest award of your life. I just wish that traveling internationally was on my schedule right now."

    "Again, don't worry about it, I wasn't ever imagining that you would come. Anyway, want to go on a stroll?"

    He nodded before cracking another grin. "I'm proud of you, kid. Congrats."

this probably wasn't super interesting and wasn't too long but we got some stuff coming soon :)