第9章

THE HIDDEN TRUTH

❝Sometimes the strongest among us are the ones who smile through silent pain, cry behind closed doors, and fight battles nobody knows about.❞
- Unknown

Third-Person POV

It was forty-five minutes past six when Minamoto Giichi and Tachibana Mayumi's parents, as well as Tachibana Hideo, arrived at the Minamoto Manor.

They all sat in the reception room whilst chatting idly and sipping their gyokuro (玉露) tea.

The traditional Japanese-style room (和室, washitsu) has tatami flooring and its ceiling are decorated with various paintings showing all the historic feat made by the renowned clan during the Heian and Sengoku period.

Located at the far end of the room, opposite to the entrance, and behind the Tachibana family is the raised alcove (床の間, tokonoma) where a hanging scroll, beautifully arranged flowers, the Minamoto emblem, and an okimono figure of a dragon made of pure gold are displayed.

It may be peaceful now, but this is only the calm before the storm.

Mayumi gracefully sipped her tea as she eyed Giichi, who's in front of her, with a knowing look. The latter cleared his throat as he put the cup carefully on the low table.

Providentially, they were able to find out that the contract can be dissolved through mutual agreement and the consequences stated on it can only be applied if only one party wants to cancel the engagement, while the other doesn't.

It wasn't explained to them though nor was it stated on the contract.

"Otōsama, Benjiro-ojisama, Mayumi and I would like to tell you something very important." He finally spoke in a calm voice. "We decided to annul our engagement."

Upon hearing Giichi's announcement, the room was filled with a deafening silence. Eventually, Minamoto Harumi spoke, breaking the silence.

There was a frightening scowl etched on her beautiful face.

"What are you talking about, Giichi-kun?" Minamoto Haruki looked calm and collected when she said these words, but deep inside she was beyond enraged.

Her dainty hands gripped the edge of the low table firmly until her knuckles turned deathly pale. "Did that whore told you to do this?" She said through gritted teeth.

"Okaasama, Hana-!" Giichi tried to reason out, but his okaasama cut him off by slamming her hands on the table. Her cup shook, spilling some of its contents onto the table and floor. "Don't even speak that whore's name."

She was about to stand up to approach her son when her husband abruptly stopped her by grabbing her wrist.

"Haruki..." The Minamoto Clan Patriarch, Minamoto Etsuji, said with a warning edge in his voice. Haruki turned to look at her husband with a pleading look in her eyes, but Etsuji shook his head in refusal.

With tear-filled eyes, Haruki sat back on her zabuton (座布団, cushion) with a zaisu (Japanese legless chair). She looked down as she clenched her fists in her lap.

However, she suddenly looked up and stared at Mayumi and Hideo, then to her frowning son, before looking back at her husband. "How long do we have to obey that evil man's commands like mere puppets?" She asked, desperation apparent in her voice.

"When will we free ourselves from that devil's grasp?" Haruki paused and bit her lower lip as she tried to stop herself from crying, but it seems like her eyes have their own mind. Tears began to roll down her cheeks.

"I'm tired of this." She continued in a low voice.

Hideo, Giichi, and Mayumi stared at Minamoto Haruki with a perplexed look plastered on their faces.

They don't know what the latter was talking about, but one thing's for sure, they're hiding something from them, and tonight they will find out what it is.

1. -chan (ちゃん), most frequently used for girls and between them, children, close friends, or lovers. This can be used when somebody finds a person, a pet, or something adorable and cute.
2. Onii-sama is a Japanese honorifics that means "older brother".
3. Okaasama means "mother".
4. -sama (様, さま) is a more respectful version for people of a higher rank than oneself or divine, toward one's guests or customers, and sometimes toward people one greatly admires.
5. Otōsama means "father".
6. Ojisama means "distinguished Uncle".
7. Obasama means "distinguished Aunt".

I've lost count how many times I have reread and rewrite this chapter (for months) just to make sure that there's no grammatical errors (or at least lessen it) or any inconsistency

Yeah, that's why it usually takes me months to update because I really want to make sure that I'm giving my best to you, my beloved readers.

To my ever-supportive younger sister (manghud), MsSycamore, thank you so much for reading this chapter and for the feedback.

Guys, thank you also very much. Thank you for the comments and votes, as well as for following me.

Love you, guys ❤️