PART XIII - MAIN EVENT

The main event Seung Min was talking about, basically another poker game. However, it played differently. It felt like a gladiator match but changed into poker in the middle and not gladiator. Audiences surrounded the stage with cameras and showed the footage on a huge screen. Yup, never going to try to cheat in the first place. The game accepted any guest to be the family challenger, if they won a match, they'll be rewarded either money or gold. That's why so many people interested to come and challenged them. Seung Min also said that almost none of them have won against the family.

Every year, they changed the player. Sometimes it would be the kids, or even their parents. Since poker game really took a lot of time, only one challenger accepted. However, if the match ended earlier than predicted, there could be possible to have another match. There's also a system to be registered as their challenger. They have to play in the game table before the main event. People who won the most at the game table automatically registered to be that night challenger. That's why they were asked whether they're a player or a guest before entering the mansion.

The game table on the stage provided four players. Three of them were from the family, while the last seat provided for tonight challenger. It seemed Ryu Jin was one of the family players. As promised, Seung Min told about the other family members. The girl in red was Chae Young while the other one was Mina, the oldest in the family. Even though they're all girls, Seung Min said their skills in poker were outstanding. Maybe because of his pride, but the challenger really looked down on them. The first row on the audience seat were each players family and Hyun Jin's grandparent. Apparently, Hyun Jin's family was the most powerful between other families, that's why only his grandparent attend the event.

"Mr. and Mrs. Hwang, can I ask something?" the challenger suddenly asked from the podium. His speech was directed to Hyun Jin's grandparent as they're the one in control now. They nodded and asked him to continue. "If I win, can I have something other than money or gold? I want to marry one of them if I win." How sickening. He let his lust took over. What's more sickening was, they approved. It's clear as a day that the girls were uncomfortable and anxious. The audiences didn't give too much reaction though, as if it was the most natural thing ever happened.

"He started again," Ji Sung commented silently which caught her attention. It means he's been more than once registered to be their challenger and more than once asked for something other than the original reward given. Would they still accept his request if the one playing was Ye Ji, their own granddaughter?

"Remember when I told you that there's someone who ever won against the family?" Seung Min whispered to her ear, leaning himself closer. She nodded silently. "He's the one who ever won against them. Ye Ji was one of the players." She instantly turned her head only to see her face was inches with him. She quickly looked away and cleared her throat.

"Do you think Ye Ji's overseas study has something to do with this?" she asked as quietly as possible.

"I think so too. Hyun Jin also think the same as the day after her game night she immediately left," Seung Min agreed. "He's not brave enough to ask since his parents were strict." Everything about this family is a mystery. Even though she wanted to know deeper, she already promised herself not to get involved with this family. Something told her once she stepped further into their family business, she won't be able to escape.

It's been hours and the moon kept getting higher. However, the challenger kept winning on every round and stacking every coin he got from each round. The girls were a little a panicked, could be because the challengers request or his flirty statement he occasionally said. Every time he won the round, he would let out a sinister laugh making the girls more anxious and scared.

"This is the last round and I'll decide who to marry among three of you," he smirked after looking into his cards. Just like what he said, he liked to play the round fast and pulling an all-in. They're forced to call or fold their card. They couldn't move or even think as their own family's intent glare really put them on edge.

"Hey!" she shouted from the back seat, earning everyone attention. This probably the most idiotic thing she's ever done. "Don't be happy too fast, it could be your downfall next." Seung Min who beside her nudged her, as he saw how Hyun Jin's grandfather gave his cold glare to her. However, she's right. As if her attention distraction made them to think clearly again, they realized three of them have strong cards on their hands and decided to go all-in too. Once the cards unfold, he has the weakest card combination from the three of them.

After the audience applauded at the players, she finally hit reality. It was really the most idiotic thing she has ever done.

.

"I'm so fucked up!" she groaned, looking at the white ceiling. She couldn't sleep as she always remembered the incident and decided to call the others. It was 1 o'clock in the morning and amazingly they're still haven't fallen asleep. "What should I do? I'll never go outside again!"

"Relax!" Johnny laughed from the other line. "They don't know you anyway."

"Yeah, right. They can search me up in second. Problem solved," she rolled her eyes and groaned again.

"Looking on the bright side, you got new friends. Mina and Chae Young thanked you in the end, right?" Chang Bin joined in.

"I was scared for a second since I was beside her. I could feel how the family throwing their glare at her," Seung Min also joined in.

"That was so stupid," Min Ho sighed.

"I hope they'll forget everything about that and move on," she silently prayed and earned laughs from the boys. "You're not helping guys!"

"Then, I think you should keep a low profile if you want to avoid them," Chang Kyun suggested. "They're not an ordinary people."

"I think she already knows that they're not an ordinary people, Chang Kyun," Jae Hyun reminded him. "Isn't that's why she called us for help?"

"Yes! Thank you! Finally!" she sighed. Realizing this conversation not going to help, she decided to avoid all her embarrassing by watching some late-night dramas. "I don't think this going to work real soon. You guys should really sleep. Catch you guys up next time." She promised to herself, that would be the first and the last time.

.

After she closed the call, Seung Min still has to upload the photos. He sat behind his laptop, looking at today's result. Thanks to his new camera that he bought, the result was clearer than expected. His finger stopped pushing the next button once her laughing face showed. It was her purest emotion when she saw Ryu Jin. Unconsciously smiling to himself as he found staring at the photos long enough. The way she styled her hair really matched her outfit. He finally knew he has catching feeling for her the first time she smiled. Even after spending time with her, he's surer than ever.

That's the reason why he didn't let her see the photos. He's scared. Scared she might know his feelings right away since she's a smart girl. Scared of being rejected. Past trauma really took over up his fear. If it's not because of Hyun Jin, he won't be able to survive high school. He swore to himself he won't fall in love again in a while. But what can he do? No one can stop their feelings, not even himself.

However, once he clicked the next button, his smile completely dropped. It was Hyun Jin who looked at her softly while she was talking with Ryu Jin. He was trying to think positive though, thinking maybe Hyun Jin was looking elsewhere other than her. There's no way he would be interested in her since they only met for a few times. Photos can be misleading since it only showed one sided. It's all about perspective.