Chapter 14

Evangeline felt the van stop after what seemed like hours. She had tried to stay as still as possible while in the van, but there were no seats and she was jolted around each time there was a big stop or turn. She heard the person crack his knuckles. 

"I'm picking you up, if you try and resist I shoot." Before she had time to realize what was going on, she was lifted up and thrown over the guys shoulder. She made no attempt to fight back. He stepped out of the van, and Evangeline felt the cold night air. They walked for a short amount of time before walking inside somewhere. She was carried for a bit more before being thrown into a room. The door shut and she heard a lock click. She slowly took off the beanie that was covering her face, taking notice to where she was.

Evangeline looked around. She was in a white room. All sides of the room were white besides one that had a foggy glass wall. There was nothing furnishing the room. She stood up and pounded on the door. 

"HELLO," she screamed, "SOMEONE HELP ME." She was met with no response. She looked up and saw there was a security camera in one of the corners. She walked to the glass wall, figuring that it had to be some sort of one way glass. She couldnt see through it, but she figured there were people watching her on the other side. She pounded on the glass.

"Can someone tell me what the hell is going on!" Again no response. She sat down in the corner, pulling her knees in. What the hell is wrong with you Evangeline. I should of been more careful, I should of been watching for the stupid van. She thought back to Ethan and wondered if he was ok. God, what the hell did they do to him? Did they kill him? Kidnap him like they did to me? If he's dead it's my fault. Her mind wouldn't stop trying to work out things. She didn't even know how they figured out the whole ghost thing. But maybe they don't know. Maybe I'm here for a different reason, she thought. She stood up again walking to the glass wall.

"What did you do to my friend? WHERES ETHAN?!" She pounded both of her fists at the wall, but she knew that she most definitely was not strong enough to break it. She heard a crackle, and a loud speaker came on.

"Evangeline. HELP ME." The glass wall changed and she saw Ethan in a chair. There were tears running down his face. She pounded the glass.

"ETHAN. Oh my gosh are you ok? Did they hurt you?" He was crying at that point and let his head hang down. She could hear his sobs. But then they changed. He went from sobbing to actually laughing. He looked up at her and gave her a twisted grin. 

"Ohhhhh Evangeline, I never knew you considered me your friend. How thoughtful." She saw his lips moving, and they coordinated with the voice on the loudspeaker. 

"Ethan, what the hell is going on?" she yelled. His voice changed back to his natural tone. 

"You know why you're here right Evangeline?" She shook her head, pretending to be dumb. "STOP LYING TO ME EVANGELINE. We know you can communicate with ghosts. And you're pretty lousy at hiding it too." Evangeline's breath hitched. 

"How did you find out?" she asked. 

"That time in the library. You remember right? You were spilling your guts to that brat Charlotte. And the time outside. You think you were so clever with the whole 'I was on a call crap', please." Evangeline shook her head in disbelief.

"Why are you working for them?" she asked. A short pause before he answered. 

"Because they and I want the same thing. Answers. And you're gonna help us get them." There was no compassion in his voice. 

"Ethan this is crazy. Let me out of here right now." She tried to sound confident, but her words came out short and scared. Ethan laughed.

"Yeah...you're not getting out just yet. We need to run a few tests first. Ya know, to discover your full potential." Her heart sank. Tests did not sound like a good thing. She ran back to the door and tried opening it. It didn't budge, instead, it sent a shock of electricity through Evangeline's body. She screamed and fell to the ground. 

"Oh, did I forget to mention that? Well, the doors wired so if you try to open it, you get electrocuted. Sorry." The words sounded cold coming out of his mouth and Evangeline shivered. 

"Why are you doing this to me Ethan?" She tried sitting up, but the shock kept her on the ground. There was a pause of silence before he answered. 

"Your readings are off the charts. There's something about you that's different from the rest of us. And we want to know what." Different from the rest of us, what the hell does that mean she thought? She propped herself up on her elbows and looked at Ethan. His expression was a look of complete jealousy. Wait, is he like me?

"Are you like me? Can you see them too?" she asked. She got no response to her question. Instead he said something else.

"You better try to get some sleep. Your trials start soon." She heard the loud speaker click off and saw the wall change back to its foggy state. She laid down on the floor, assuring herself that everything would be ok. Her friends were going to notice something was up. And they were going to find her. At least, she hoped that's what would happen.