Chapter 03

Tunnel Glory

It was late in the night when we took action. Newt, Frypan, and I decided to wait by the truck for Thomas. We knew he would try to sneak away at night and go rescue Minho on his own. He, of course, would attempt to blow it off like it was nothing, but, the three of us knew better. When a figure emerged from the top of the steps, Newt got ready to turn the light on. 

"Where do you think you're going then?" Newt said, flipping on the light. 

Thomas looked dumbfounded.

He sighed, "Newt,"

"Don't be a twat about it," Newt walked to Thomas and took his bag, "We're already in."

"No. No, not this time," Thomas shook his head, "Look, even if we find Minho there's no guarantee we make it back from this."

"Well, you'll need all the help you can get then, won't you?" I say.

I reached across my body and pull the door handle on the car open to reveal Fry sitting in the drivers. I look back to Thomas, who just scoffs.

"Well, we started this together," I began, "May as well end it that way, too."

Thomas nods slowly, "Okay. Let's go get him back."

With that, we hopped in the truck. Fry and Thomas in the front, Newt and I in the back. We drive off, fully unprepared of what's to come.

Throughout the ride, I mainly stayed quiet. The drive was long and painful - the only thing I really enjoyed was the view. It was mainly dessert with plants and hard, dried, sandy ground, but the sunrise was nice. When the sun fully came out, it was as hot as could be. I started sweating through my clothes and it never stopped. Nothing seemed interesting to me until we passed an abandoned car and billboard that read, 'MANDATORY INFECTION CHECK. 2 Miles Ahead.' 

When we decided to come to a complete stop, we were surrounded by deserted vehicles. In front of us was a long dark tunnel, waiting patiently to swallow us whole. The four of us got out of the truck and gawked at the thing.

"You want us to go in there?" Asked Newt, "I don't want to sound to negative, but, if I were a Crank, that's exactly where I would be."

"I don't think we have much of a choice," Thomas said.

A pause.

"All right, I get shotgun," Newt said.

"I'm driving," I stated.

I walked quickly to the driver's side and yanked the door open. Getting in, a very concerned Thomas was hopping in the rear driver's side. I turned on the engine, pushed the gas pedal, and started to maneuver the rust bucket through the opening of the tunnel. Once we were in, we got shrouded in complete darkness. Newt flicked on the lights and held out a flashlight so we could see the sides of the road.

"Well, here we go," Fry commented.

"Yeah, just take it nice and slow," Newt said.

I carefully drove around cars, trucks, and other debris in the way.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa!"

I stopped the truck immediately, earning a squeal from the tires. Not too far in front of us was a Crank; it was just standing there. I looked back at Thomas, awaiting his thoughts.

"It's okay, it's just one," he said, "So, take it slow, go around him. We'll be fine."

I turned back around to face the steering wheel and mumbled, "Take it slow. Take it slow."