Chapter 11

Dandelion Gone

Jessica squinted her eyes at the bright sunlight peeking through her curtain. She debated on leaving her hut that she hid herself in for a day or two now. She looked back at the tiny room and scanned it over before deciding to head out. For some reason, the air seemed fresher. The air smelled salty, it felt sort of moist, Seagulls were squawking in the distance, and indistinct chatter could be heard behind her. 

Jessica walked around her hut and began to bask in the glory of the village her group had created. People, children, and adults were laughing, running, playing, smiling. They all seemed so happy. But at that moment, the only thing she could think of was how proud he would've been. How happy he would've been. Tears threaten to spill, and she almost went back to her hut, but she knew hibernating was done. Now, it was time to socialize. 

Children ran past her as she walked along the shore. She followed their movement with her eyes. She followed the path to dirt and walked along that. She stopped in her tracks then. Stood before her were people she once knew, people she once loved, people she once trusted. Minho warily walked up to her, as if she were a bull in a china shop. Her eyes watered immediately and a tear rolled down her face. Minho swallowed, then enveloped her into a tight hug around the neck. The two stood there, hugging and wanting nothing more than their friend back.

When they pulled apart, everyone went in for a round of hugs, her brother, Aris, after Minho. They had all said their condolences and went their separate ways. People she didn't even know stopped by to apologize for what had happened.

"We have come a long way together," Vince, the leader of the group spoke, "So many have sacrificed so much to make this place possible; your friends and your family," he raised a tankard, "So here's to the ones who couldn't be here. Here's to the friends we've lost."

The entire crowd raised their cups.

"This place is for you, it's for all of us," Vince continued, "But this, this is for them. So, in your own time, in your own way, come make your peace. Welcome to the Safe Haven!"

"This is gonna be a good home for us," Minho stated.

Thomas, him, and Jessica sat staring at the fire and monitoring the civilians of the village.

"Yeah," Thomas mumbled.

"You had this on you while you were passed out," Minho said, holding up the object Newt had given Thomas, "Figured I'd keep it safe for you. And, Newt wanted me to give this to you when the timing was right. I don't know when that would be exactly but, I'm guessing it's right now." Minho pushed a box towards the girl.

"Thanks, Minho," the two said in unison.

"See y'all out there,"

"See ya,"

Jess looked down at the box and fiddled with the lid before it popped off. She softly removed it and looked down at the items within. Meanwhile, Thomas was unfolding a piece of paper that was inside of the tube. Inside his head, Thomas started to read the note.

"Dear Thomas, this is the first letter I can remember writing. Obviously, I don't know if I wrote any before the maze, but even if it's not my first, it's likely to be my last. I want you to know, that I'm not scared. Well, not of dying, anyway. It's more forgetting. It's losing myself to this virus, that's what scares me.

Jess walked up to the stone in the middle of the village and got ready to chisel the name she loved.

"So every night I've been saying their names out loud. Alby, Winston, Chuck. And I just repeat them over and over, like a prayer, and it all comes flooding back.

Jess wiped off her finished work and took a step back to admire the name.

"Just the little things, like the way the sun used to hit the Glade at the perfect moment right before it slipped beneath the walls, or when it shown on Jess's hair and forced the illusion of it being much redder.

Jess sat looking at the picture Newt drew her, a symbol she would always love and never forget, a dandelion.

"And I remember the taste of Frypan's stew. I never thought I'd miss that stuff so much. And I remember you. I remember the first time you came up in the box. Just a scared little greenie, who couldn't even remember his own name. But from that moment you ran into the maze, I knew I would follow you anywhere. And I have. We all have.

Thomas walked up to the group sitting by the fire. He decided that he would have a little fun in this dull moment. Jess walked to her hut carrying the box Minho gave her.

"If I could do it all over again, I would and I wouldn't change a thing. And my hope for you is that when you're looking back years from now, you'll be able to say the same.

Jess pushed her curtain aside, set the box down, and dug into it once more. She felt a piece of fabric and gripped onto it and pulled it out. She gasped a little once she saw what it was.

"The future's in your hands now, Tommy. And I know you'll find a way to do what's right.

Jess looked over the community her people called Safe Haven and smiled slightly. She looked down at the shirt she was wearing, Newt's white hoodie, from the Glade.

"And I know you'll find a way to do what's right. You always have. Take care of everyone for me. And take care of yourself, you deserve to be happy. Thank you for being my friend. Tell Jess I love her.

She sighed, waved at the village, and turned away. Jess took a deep breath and darted toward the trees.

"Goodbye, mate. Newt."