Chapter 06

The Day I Flew

"No," Thomas said turning to face us, "There's gotta be another way."

"Like what? You've seen the building," Gally said.

The seven of us stood in a circle discussing the plan - it wasn't going so good.

"She is our way in," Gally continued.

"You really think she's going to help us?" Thomas asked.

"I don't plan on asking her permission,"

I glanced at Newt. He was focusing on his hands and drowning everything out.

"Am I missing something here?" Brenda butted in, "This is the same girl who betrayed us, correct? Same dick?"

"I like her," Gally gestured to the girl.

"What's going on?" I looked up at Thomas.

"What, are you afraid your little girlfriend's gonna get hurt?" Newt grumbled.

I furrowed my eyebrows. 

"Hmm? Because this has obviously never been just about rescuing Minho, has it?" 

"Wait, what are you talking about?" Thomas questioned him.

"Teresa," Newt began, "She's the only reason that Minho's even missing in the first place."

We watched as Newt got in Thomas' face, questioning his every thought.

"Now we finally have an opportunity to get him back, and what? You don't want to because of her? Because deep down inside of you, you still care about her, don't you? Just admit it,"

"Newt, I-"

"Don't lie to me!"

Newt gripped onto Thomas' shirt and slammed him against the wall. My feet had their own mind and gunned to the scene. Placing a hand on Newt's shoulder in an attempt to calm him down, he shrugged it off.

"Newt," 

He whipped his head over at me and batted his eyelashes. He was slowly realizing what he had done.

"Sorry," He mumbled and looked at the others, "I'm sorry." 

He pushed past me in an instant. Looking back up at Thomas, my gaze softened. 

"I'm sorry, Thomas," I mumbled, "Newt's right." 

Sunlight pierced my vision as I opened the door to the roof. A boy sat on the ledge not too far away. The pity I had felt for him was like none other, yet, I was still confused at the outburst. He glanced over his shoulder, chocolate brown eyes meeting mine. I slowly stepped up on the ledge and stood next to him.

"Sorry about that back there," he spoke, "I guess I can't hide this anymore."

I crouched next to him and examined his movements. He tugged up his sleeve revealing a sight that made me want to cry. Black veins poured over his forearm, creating a spider web. I gulped.

"Newt, why didn't you tell me?" I choked out.

"Didn't think it would make any difference," he stated, "All I know is that WICKED must have put me in that maze for a reason. Maybe it was literally just so they could tell the difference between immunes like you and people like me."

"You know we can still fix this, Newt," I reassured, "Okay? We can."

"Don't worry about me. This is about Minho, now he needs us,"