Chapter 04

Old Friends Reminiscing 

"I'm impressed!" Jorge began, "You guys almost lasted a whole day."

Brenda shifted her weight and turned around to face Thomas. She shook her head slowly.

"I'm sorry," Thomas said, "I didn't wanna bring you guys into this."

Brenda glanced at Jorge.

"I think what he's trying to say is thanks for saving us," Frypan confirmed.

I smiled a little. Lovebirds.

"You're welcome,"

"Hey don't get your hopes up," Jorge started, "That checkpoint back there was the cities last defense. If that was overrun, chances are the city is, too."

"Yeah, unless they figured out another way to keep the Cranks out," Newt said.

I followed his gaze to a sight I couldn't fathom even existed. I jerked forward as we skidded to a stop. I crawled out of the trunk and gawked at the sight. It was a huge city surrounded by giant stone walls; similar to the maze. 

"Funny. Spent three years trapped behind walls, trying to break out, now we want to break back in." Newt said.

"Yeah, it's hilarious," Fry deadpanned.

"Jorge, how do we get in?" Thomas asked.

I glanced at the pair.

"Don't look at me, hermano," Jorge said, "Those walls are new. I guess that's WICKED's answer for everything."

I sighed and looked back to the city. "This is going to be a fun adventure," I commented.

"Well, we ain't going to figure it out from up here," Brenda said, walking back to the passenger side of the truck, "Let's go!"

I turned to look at Thomas, who just walked passed me and closer to the edge. Following him, I nudged his shoulder.

"You really think he's in there?" I ask.

"I guess we'll find out," He said.

"You know she's gonna be there, too," I cocked an eyebrow.

Thomas said nothing, but stared in the direction of the city. I sighed, and turned to walk back to the truck.

I shoved people out of my way. Women, men, and children were hustling around us. 

"This place has really gone through hell," Jorge said.

"We just gotta stay together," Thomas spoke.

Another person shoved into me. Grunting, I reach out as far as I can and grab Newt's hand.

"We are the voice of the voiceless!" A voice spoke. 

I stop and look for the source. 

"They hide behind their walls thinking they can keep the cure for themselves," 

I notice a truck with guys sitting on top driving our way.

"While they watch the rest of us wither and rot!"

It slowly drove past us. As I watched, I saw a familiar build which had lived with me for three long years, but he died seven months ago. 

"But there are more of us than there are of them. And I say, we rise up and take back what is ours! Let's bring back a victory!"