Stereotypes

Ahh, us lesbians.

Hang on, let me get my flannel shirt.

Ok, I'm better...Nope, hang on.

Alright. My snapback is on.

I look gay now, right?

Or should I put on my thumb ring?

Ah. All gayed up with nowhere to go. (Side note: I have no idea if 'gayed' is a word...)

Stereotypes.

No doubt, you've heard several of these. Granted, every single race, sexuality, gender, etc. is stereotyped.

All straight white boys are dicks.

All gays love pink and talk in a feminine way.

African-Americans live in 'ghettos'.

The French think they're better than everyone.

All Muslims are terrorists.

All of these, I repeat, every single one of these, is total bullshit. So before I start talking about lesbian stereotypes/lesbians in society, I wanted to say we aren't the only ones dealing with awful stereotypes. Think before you speak.

I've heard my own family use lesbian and gay stereotypes.

"She's gay. She doesn't wear makeup and doesn't care about her appearance."

Ok. No. Not at all. Gender expression and appearance is up to the individual. Personally, I wear makeup pretty much every day and try to dress well when I go out.

But I'm gay.

"He's gay." (Referring to a guy wearing something considered traditionally 'feminine')

You don't know that.

"These are my lesbian shoes." (Referring to these work-like shoes that are awful-looking, but practical.)

You assume that lesbians don't like nice shoes and we all wear the ugliest shoes we can find in order to attract each other.

I guess I won't ask girls on dates, I'll just wear awful shoes and reel them in.

Makes sense.

Anyways, have you ever said something about being attracted to the same sex, and people say something like, "You're too pretty."

"I thought you were straight. You look straight."

"Your hair isn't short..."

"Aren't you supposed to be more masculine?"

'More masculine'?

We're women.

We love (LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE) women.

I may not be correct, but I believe I read somewhere that the reason why a women is a lesbian is because during the time that they were a fetus, they were exposed to more testosterone (causing the same-sex attraction). So, yes, we may have more testosterone than the average woman, but we aren't men and I know that for me personally, I don't want to be a man.

I know that  my personality is more androgynous while my appearance is very feminine. I do my hair, I wear makeup and spend too much time trying to wing out my eyeliner, etc. But I'm able to relate really well to both sexes, which has always been a major help to me. I understand aggression, and competition, and wanting to win and be the best at everything. There are times where I feel life is survival of the fittest and we should fight. And then there are times where I just want to cuddle people and bake brownies and curl my hair and have compassion and empathy.

So I guess I just really don't understand stereotypes.

Well, I have to go repair a car in a muscle shirt, so ta-ta for now.