Lioness: Honor

It is my honor to be one of the four personal guards for the king, and it is the highest military rank for women in the Ari kingdom. We follow the king everywhere he goes, we guard his room, when he is inside and clear a way for him in the castle, so two of us go first, then the king and then the rest two from behind within 4 meters distance. Then there is also Lionesses, who should guard the queen, princes, and Lord Tau, but most of the time, they all refuse to be guarded, so we can't insist. Most of the Lionesses are guards at the castle, accompanied by Fang soldiers, they are like at each door and corridors. Most people don't know about this strict security in the castle and of the royal family, but there are hundreds of guards everywhere.

Lionesses are a special unit of army in the Ari kingdom, trained since the age of 15, enrolled voluntarily, carefully selected from hundreds of girls, who want to become one of us four. I remember the day very clearly.

First, we arrived at the House of lions and we took the strategy test on paper, there were 20 situations described and you had to answer each of them, for example, you are on the way at an open field, suddenly you see that something is on the road, not moving, you are one of the 6 lionesses, who are with the king, write your actions in order of priority.

84 girls passed it, then was the time for endurance test in the city, it was basically, obstacle course all around the city, and only 30 could get into the next round.

Test in the fighting pit showed our reaction time and strength, so 10 girls got into the final round. By the way, it is like one of the largest events in all cities, everyone is coming and watching, there are celebrations going on and fireworks at the end.

So the final round is in the arena with lions, it tests your communication with lions, strategy, endurance, and reaction in a big maze, where you need to get out as fast as possible, I was the first, so I secured my place in the 5-year training before getting actual tasks and jobs at the castle.

I am now standing at the king's door and I hear he is talking with his wife, in my opinion, we know too much, but we are not allowed to tell anyone, what we hear, so better is to think about something else than actually listening. If we tell, we will be traitors and we will be banished from the kingdom if not killed.

King opens the door and the queen is following, of course, also Mi and Ra. I see the Lord Tau is coming towards the king, he is allowed to do so, he is also allowed to punish us or anyone here at the city of Lauv.

"My king, I would like to discuss some things with you!"

"We need to get to the Royal Hall, can it wait?"

"No, it can't, because it is about the Royal Hall!" Lord Tau is insistent as always, I don't like him, but unfortunately, no one asked my opinion, but then he realizes the Queen is here, so he looks at her.

"Don't mind me, please, feel free, he already told me!"

I am watching Lord Tau closely, I don't know why, maybe because I do that to all, who approach the king, but maybe that I don't trust him. He looks shocked that he wasn't the first to know the king's decision. "Oh."

"Alright then, I will now get to the Royal Hall!" The queen understands the sign from Lord Tau and goes away.

"Tell them we will be there after a moment!" King says and looks at Lord Tau. "So, my lord?"

"So, about your decision ... the thing is that I am not sure I know it, and I am your adviser, so technically I should know before you tell the others."

"I haven't decided yet!" The King is obviously not telling the truth.'

"But what are you gonna say to them?"

The king seems a little bit annoyed, so he starts slowly walking. "I respect you for all the things you have done for my family, but what makes you so special?"

"Pardon me, my king? I didn't want to sound impolite!"

"No, not that, who are you?"

"What do you mean?"

"You know, before my father died, he kept saying that you are the only person, that I can trust, even he barely knew you then!"

"It is an honor, my king!"

"What made you so special that you gained my father's trust from the first sight?"

It is true, he gained the trust, I have heard many stories, but I can't distract myself right now, the king is becoming more annoyed and Lord Tau more scared.

"Luck?"

"How you got here?"

"As I have said hundreds of times, destiny guided me here!"

"No, now I want to hear the real story! Where are you from?"

"Oh, I don't know, I woke up one day at the desert, it was a God's gift, that I found the city of Lauv!"

"So you want to say that you didn't know, who you were before?"

"Yes, it feels like I was born in the desert with all the knowledge!"

"But how is it possible?"

"Some speak that I was sent by God, others..."

"... that you are a liar and traitor!"

"Speaking of your father, I will always be him thankful!"

"Of course, he took you into his castle and gave you everything!"

"I was as surprised as you!"

"I thought that he didn't know you, but in fact, he knew you very well, and I am still thinking, why he lied and why are you now lying?"

It is suspenseful, I haven't heard them both talking like this with each other.

"I don't understand!" Me as well.

"Yes, you do! You also knew that my sister was going to poison us all, and you saved us all, except father!"

"I didn't know about your father!"

"How? How you knew about her plans?"

"You see, my king, I found those mixture bottles!"

"Where?"

"In castle!"

"How did you know that they belonged to her?"

"I talked to the mixture brewer!"

"Or you found them in her room!"

Lord Tau stops as he realizes the King knows too much about him.

"Why you were there?"

Lord tau thinks for a second. "What happened to your sister?"

"What? We are not talking about my sister!"

"Yes, we are! Please tell me!" Lord Tau isn't scared anymore, instead, he is becoming more insistent.

"She left because she killed her father!"

"Or she knew too much!" Now the King stops and looks at Lord Tau, but Lord Tau is continuing to walk. "Who is lying to whom, exactly? And the messenger in the morning? You don't need to hide important information from me, because sooner or later I WILL find out!"

"How?"

Lord Tau quickly looks at the king and smiles a little bit as nothing had happened. "Let's walk to the Royal Hall, they are waiting for us!"

A/N: If you liked this chapter, please consider leaving a vote on it :) I would also appreciate some feedback in the comment section, in my profile's conversations or inbox!